Monday, August 21, 2017

Review: So Good

Title: So Good 
Series: Alpha Dogs #1 
Author: Nicola Rendell 
Genre: Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publisher: Self-Published 
Publication Date: August 7, 2017

On the roof of a house outside Truelove, Maine, master carpenter Max Doyle looks down through a skylight and sees the most beautiful woman he’s ever laid eyes on. She’s naked, she’s gorgeous, and everything about her is perfect, down to the ball-busting tattoo of a rose that wraps around her hip. But it isn’t just any woman making his knees buckle. It’s his best friend, Rosie Madden. And as he stands there, mesmerized and precariously close to toppling off the roof, he knows he’ll never, ever be able to look at her the same way again.
Rosie can’t help but notice that Max is suddenly acting very strange—lots of long stares, totally tongue-tied, and not at all like the slightly cocky hunk she’s proud to call her best friend. She can’t figure it out, until later that night when Max rescues her from the world’s worst date, challenges her to a game of pool, and shows her just exactly what she’s got him thinking about. Repeatedly.
But life is complicated. Rosie’s cat, Julia Caesar, wants to eat Max’s dog Cupcake for an afternoon snack. A dream job threatens to pull them apart. And another glance through the skylight changes everything, one more time. Yet try as they might, they can’t go back to being just friends, because falling in love with the one you’ve always adored?
It feels so good.

Find So Good online!
This book was far from perfect but it was entertaining.  It was the kind of book that made me want to pick it up and once I picked it up, it kept me reading.  There were some parts that made me cringe or roll my eyes, but for the most part, it was a genuinely enjoyable and mostly angst-free romance!

Okay, so if I'm being totally honest, I was not a fan of Max at the beginning of this book.  I didn't like how he spied on Rosie, even though it was plainly laid out in the blurb.  Like, I knew it was coming but it was creepy and his sudden revelation afterwards that she was the woman for him had me rolling my eyes.  He sees her naked and suddenly realizes he loves her?  Mhmm, okay.  He gets better after that, though.  It's clear he cares so deeply for Rose, with a solid foundation of friendship.  They were so sweet together and I loved learning little tidbits about their past. 
 
Rosie was a great heroine; she was incredibly strong but also soft.  She wasn't afraid of being a bit vulnerable, even though she was terrified of losing her friendship with Max.  I just really love how important their friendship was to them.  Since they were friends before anything romantic happened between them, they had this trust with each other that wouldn't be there otherwise.  It was so sweet and swoony.  

The plot was great and kept me interested and I really liked how it was just easy to read.  There was no huge drama fests, no unnecessary angst.  It was so refreshing and it made me happy to read.  It was just a genuinely fun time.  ALSO!  I loved the role their pets took in this book.  They were so freaking funny I was laughing out loud at times.  Especially the cat, Julia Caesar.  She reminded me so much of my cat!  

While So Good was entertaining and fun to read, there were definitely some problems and it wasn't very memorable.  It was one of those books that I enjoyed while reading but more than likely won't pick up again.  Still, I'm glad I read it and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next from this author.  

"He was my rock. He was my compass. Our friendship was my anchor."

Three Teapots

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns