Thursday, August 31, 2017

Review: Lucky in Love

Title: Lucky in Love 
Series: None
Author: Kasie West 
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult 
Publisher: Scholastic 
Publication Date: July 25, 2017 
Source: Bought

Can’t buy me love…
Maddie’s not impulsive. She’s all about hard work and planning ahead. But one night, on a whim, she buys a lottery ticket. And then, to her astonishment—
She wins!
In a flash, Maddie’s life is unrecognizable. No more stressing about college scholarships. Suddenly, she’s talking about renting a yacht. And being in the spotlight at school is fun…until rumors start flying, and random people ask her for loans. Now Maddie isn’t sure who she can trust.
Except for Seth Nguyen, her funny, charming coworker at the local zoo. Seth doesn’t seem aware of Maddie’s big news. And, for some reason, she doesn’t want to tell him. But what will happen if he learns her secret?

Find Lucky in Love online!
Oh gosh.  Okay, so this was my first Kasie West book and I think it may have been a mistake to start with it because I did not like this one at all.  I feel terrible saying that because I wanted to like it so much and so many of the book bloggers I know did like it.  But I just couldn't do it.  I'm definitely going to try to read one of the other books by this author and give it a fair shot.  

Lets get what I did like out of the way first.  One thing I will say is that this book was really easy to read.  I finished it in about four hours.  Like, that definitely says something about the way the author writes.  It was easy to get pulled into the story.  Another aspect that probably helped with this was the lottery aspect.  I was really interested in this and was excited to see how it would affect Maddie and her family.  There were some parts of it that I definitely enjoyed reading about and that kept me engaged and interested but others that honestly just made me want to tear my hair out.  

Okay, so the problems I had . . . my biggest problem was Maddie, honestly.  She just made such stupid choices.  She was supposed to be this really smart girl with a 4.25 GPA, awesome with math, going to UCLA or Stanford, and she was just.  So.  Stupid.  With.  Her.  Money.  I honestly couldn't believe it.  I was so frustrated with her that it got to the point where I went downstairs to my dad and ranted about it for a good thirty minutes.  Maddie got all this money, of course, and suddenly all these really popular people who were mean to her before are acting like they're best friends and she thinks that these people are genuine?!  She starts picking them over her old, true friends??  This made no sense to me.  How would anyone not be able to see through the false niceness of those people?  

And just what she bought!  It was like she was just throwing away money on things that were so irresponsible -- things no eighteen year old should have.  Her parents were just so irresponsible, too.  They thought it was a good idea to just let their teenage dollar run wild with 50 million dollars?  They didn't even check up on her or see how she was doing and handling things.  It was so irresponsible and infuriating.  

The other characters were okay.  Seth, the love interest, was just kinda . . . there.  I didn't feel the spark between them at all but I appreciated that Seth was generally a nice guy and made a good impact in Maddie's life.  But still, no chemistry.  The only character I really even liked in this book was one of her friends and I can't even remember her name :( 

Maddie was just so naive and made so many decisions that made me want to scream.  I was frustrated with how irresponsible and checked out her parents were and annoyed with the rest of the characters (aside from one).  This book was definitely not a good introduction into Kasie West books but hopefully the next one will be better.   

"School, and college, were the most important things in my life at the moment. Nothing—I looked at Seth—or no one would change that."

One out of Five Teapots

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns