Friday, January 27, 2017

Judging Books By Their Covers

We're always told not to judge books by their covers but, really, it's hard to help it.  There's a lot of aspects that make a cover good or not and everyone sees them a little differently.  So, in these posts I'm doing what we all do when we pick up a book - judging their covers.

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
I adore this book.  This cover . . . well, it's okay.  I like the colors and the font and I definitely like the side eyes the man and woman are giving each other.  But when I first saw it, it kind of turned me off from the story.  While there's not necessarily anything wrong with it, it just doesn't capture my attention. 
Rating: Okay, but not as absolutely spectacular as the actual story!

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer
Mmm . . . no, I'm not a fan of this one.  In general, I don't like it was real people are pictured on covers.  Plus, this is a young adult book, and a magical realism one at that.  When I first saw this book, I thought it was an adult novel based on the cover.  It's a bit misleading.  I do like the little wand though.
Rating:  Generic and kind of flat.  Gimme some color.

Shadow of the Wolf by Tim Hall
LOOOOOOOVE.  I love this cover.  It's so creepy and cool looking.  It is a bit misleading though.  At first glance, you'd think this was a book about werewolves or something.  Nope, it's a Robin Hood retelling. 
Rating: Misleading but gorgeous enough that I don't care

The Hit List by Nikki Urang
This is one of those cases there I don't mind the fact that there's a real person pictured on the cover.  The fact that's she's behind the words and shows a detail from the story is awesome.  Plus, I love the muted gray background and the bright title!  
Rating: Simple and lovely! 

What do you think of these covers?  Any you love?  Hate?  How do you feel about having real people pictured on covers? Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. We are all guilty of judging books by their covers! It's a subconscious thing that I can't stop doing. :D

    I need to read The Hating Game! Literally everyone has loved the book, but I haven't read it. I do think the cover is kind of boring but it's one that I will never forget. o_o Hopefully the ebook goes on sale at some point... then I will drop everything and read it asap!

    I feel the same, about people on the covers! I generally don't like people on covers. The cover of The Hit List really works though.

    Great post, Ashtyn! Have a fantastic weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree! If I'm not a fan of a cover, I tend to stay far away from the book. But I've been trying to look past this!

      I really hope it does, too! I want to hear what you think of it!! Maybe a library has it in stock somewhere :D

      Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. A bad cover can definitely do a disservice to an awesome book. I probably wouldn't have picked up "The Hating Game" based on the cover, but I guess this is also why I love looking at book reviews - because now I know it is a great read : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I wasn't a huge fan of the cover but reviews definitely convinced me to read "The Hating Game". And I'm so glad I did!!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns