Monday, October 20, 2014

Review: Stay With Me

Title:  Stay With Me
Series:  Wait For You #3
Author:  J. Lynn (Website | Twitter)
Age Group:  New Adult
Publisher:  William Morrow Paperbacks
Publication Date:  September 23, 2014
Source:  Bought
At 21, Calla hasn’t done a lot of things. She’s never been kissed, never seen the ocean, never gone to an amusement park. But growing up, she witnessed some things no child ever should. She still carries the physical and emotional scars of living with a strung-out mother, Mona—secrets she keeps from everyone, including her close circle of college friends.
But the safe cocoon Calla has carefully built is shattered when she discovers her mom has stolen her college money and run up a huge credit card debt in her name. Now, Calla has to go back to the small town she thought she'd left behind and clean up her mom’s mess again. Of course, when she arrives at her mother’s bar, Mona is nowhere to be found. Instead, six feet of hotness named Jackson James is pouring drinks and keeping the place humming.
Sexy and intense, Jax is in Calla’s business from the moment they meet, giving her a job and helping her search for Mona. And the way he looks at her makes it clear he wants to get horizontal . . . and maybe something more. Before Calla can let him get close, though, she’s got to deal with the pain of the past—and some very bad guys out to mess her up if she doesn’t give them her mom.
Find Stay With Me online

My Review:  I don't know what was up when I read this novel but I just wasn't as into it as I have been with the previous novels in this series.  It has everything I loved in it: romance, cute boys, humor, drama, angst, and so much more.  I just wasn't clicking with it.  It may have been because I was in the middle of moving when I picked it up so I didn't have time to just sit down and read it all the way through.  Either way, this wasn't a favorite of mine.  

I did like the characters a lot.  I thought Calla was so strong for handling all the things she had to handle, especially at such a young age and with a very small support system.  What happened to her family was horrendous.  Even thinking about it now, I start to tear up.  I couldn't imagine having to ever go through anything like that.  It affected her a lot, understandably.  I sympathized with her and admired her strength throughout the novel.  However, there were moments when she really just drove me crazy.  I understand her self-consciousness but I got really frustrated with her when she let it get in between her and Jax.  

Speaking of Jax... as usual, J. Lynn delivered a major hottie.  I loved how sweet, kind, and patient he was with Calla.  He was genuinely a nice guy.  I was swooning all over the page whenever he showed up and I totally understood Calla's attraction to him.  I did start getting sort of annoyed though when he wasn't making other people respect his boundaries (if you've read this, you know who I'm talking about).  He got mad at Calla for getting mad at him about that but I completely saw where she was coming from.  What he was letting happen was absolutely ridiculous.  

The plot was interesting but I also found it sort of slow sometimes.  This might be because it was such a long novel (the longest in the series).  Either way, I found myself putting this book down and not getting the urge to pick it back up for a while, which it really strange.  Generally, I'm all over Jennifer Armentrout books. 

This was a good book but by no means my favorite from J. Lynn.  The plot wasn't quite clicking with me, despite there being good characters and an interesting base to work off of.  I'm hoping the next book will be better! 

“He read? Oh my God, guys that read were like unicorns. They only existed in fairy tales.” 

Four Cards


1 comment:

  1. I have yet to read anything of Armentrout's outside of the first book in the Lux series. I just never felt compelled to do so. I might read this one of these days. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns