Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Review & Guest Post: The Reason I Stay


Today I have the honor of welcoming Patty Maximini to the blog!  She is the author of The Reason I Stay, a romantic and emotional story about two people who struggle to overcome obstacles and come together.  

Title:  The Reason I Stay
Series:  None
Author:  Patty Maximini (Website | Twitter
Age Group:  New Adult
Publisher:  Self Published
Publication Date:  September 10, 2014
Source:  The publisher via Xpresso Book Tours
Jack Daniels is the cure to all evils.
Sex should be casual and, preferably, anonymous.
Giving a damn is for nurses, philanthropists and suicide hotlines.
My name is Mathew Rogers and those are the values I built my adult life around. They are also the reason I had to forsake everything I loved in Seattle and embark on a solitary road trip across the country, with no direction other than searching for the next small town, the next girl, and the closest liquor store.
Boredom, frustration and a series of unfortunate decisions led me to the rickety-ass town of Jolene, Alabama—a town I wanted to leave behind from the moment I passed the welcome sign. But it was there where I met her. The girl who made me question everything I’ve always believed in, and the only one who has ever had the power to break my heart.
Her name is Lexie.
She’s beautiful, and I’m pretty sure she hates me.
And for once in my life, I give enough of a damn that I keep finding a reason to stay.
Find The Reason I Stay online

My Review:  This was a fun, contemporary, and romantic read that I really enjoyed.  There was a lot I enjoyed and that made this a fast and entertaining novel.  There were some things that didn't sit as well with me but for the most part, The Reason I Stay was a cute, quick read.  

I adored the characters in this novel, especially Lexie.  The way she dealt with Mathew when he was giving her attitude was amazing.  There isn't nearly enough novels in the New Adult and Young Adult genres with female characters that stand up to themselves against their love interests.  Her quick wit and strong standings are what made her so likable.  She didn't put up with things that she felt shouldn't be said or done to her.  I really didn't like Mathew at first.  I didn't see and understand the reason behind why he was acting like such a jerk to Lexie and everyone around him.  Once we got some insight on his past, it was easier to sympathize with him and grow to like him.  

The relationship that grew between Lexie and Mathew was so cute and really sincere.  It grew slowly and it felt real as it developed.  There was a slight case of insta-love (or at least insta-attraction) on Mathew's side but the relationship still felt genuine and believable.  The plot was very much intertwined with the growth of the relationship so the it moved with them.  

The Reason I Stay was a book that left me with a smile on my face.  The relationship was slow-building and fun to read about and see develop.  While there were some tiny things I didn't totally love but, for the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Lexie and Mathew.  

"Every second we're together, you reach inside me and erase a bit of the guy I used to be."

Four Cards

I also got the chance to ask Patty Maximini what her top ten favorite fictional couples!

Top 10 favorite fictional couples

Lucas and Jacqueline (Easy)
Noah and Allie (The Notebook)
Augustus and Hazel (The Fault in Our Stars)
Holder and Sky (Hopeless)
Ryan and Taryn (Love Unscripted
Alex and Kali (The Kali Lockton Series)
Jace and Clary (The Mortal Instruments Series)
Pudge and Alaska (Looking for Alaska)
Daniel and Six (Finding Cinderella)
Ian and Sparrow (True Love Story)



5 comments:

  1. I love a quick witted, smart mouthed female MC. I'm adding this one to my Goodreads. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you would definitely like Lexie! Hope you get a chance to read it soon!

      Delete
  2. Great review, Ashtyn! I love the sounds of the romance in this one. If it feels genuine I don't mind hints of insta love at all. And it sounds like a fun read overall, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so well-developed; I just loved them together!

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this one, but I definitely think it sounds interesting. I don't enjoy a lot of contemporary novels, but I don't mind it in the New Adult genre, for some reason. Great review!

    In other news, I have a giveaway going on for a horror novel you might be interested in.

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns