Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Review: All Lined Up

Title:  All Lined Up
Series:  Rusk University #1
Author:  Cora Carmack (Website | Twitter)
Age Group:  New Adult
Publication Date:  May 13, 2014 by William Marrow Paperbacks
Source:  Bought
In Texas, two things are cherished above all else—football and gossip. My life has always been ruled by both.
Dallas Cole loathes football. That's what happens when you spend your whole childhood coming in second to a sport. College is her time to step out of the bleachers, and put the playing field (and the players) in her past.
But life doesn't always go as planned. As if going to the same college as her football star ex wasn’t bad enough, her father, a Texas high school coaching phenom, has decided to make the jump to college ball… as the new head coach at Rusk University. Dallas finds herself in the shadows of her father and football all over again.
Carson McClain is determined to go from second-string quarterback to the starting line-up. He needs the scholarship and the future that football provides. But when a beautiful redhead literally falls into his life, his focus is more than tested. It's obliterated.
Dallas doesn't know Carson is on the team. Carson doesn't know that Dallas is his new coach's daughter.
And neither of them know how to walk away from the attraction they feel.
Find All Lined Up online

My Review:  I'm a pretty big fan of Cora Carmack so when I was on a road trip and dying from boredom, I turned to her to find a book to keep me occupied.  I found All Lined Up!  While this was certainly not my favorite book of hers, it did its job and kept me 100% entertained throughout my drive.  

I liked both of the MCs in this book but wasn't head over heels in love with them.  There was a lot of times when I wasn't even particularly interested in them.  I was angry with Dallas a lot because she was the one that caused all the problems between herself and Carson.  Like, I get that she was hurt in the past but the way she seemed to hold what happened to her with a totally different person against Carson and that just really bothered me.  Most of the time, Dallas was whiney and a bit immature to me and I had trouble clicking with her.  I liked Carson much better.  His work ethic and his love of football are what really drew me to him.  I loved the fact that he was willing to work hard for something he wanted.  

The plot was good.  I didn't find myself ever skimming sections or wanting to toss the book out of boredom.  Cora Carmack does an awesome job of keeping the reader on their toes.  While the end result was fairly predictable, I wasn't sure exactly how we would get to that point.  

In all, this was one of those books that I was okay with.  Nothing really stood out for me but I enjoyed reading it.  I'm actually a lot more excited about the second book in this series, All Broke Down.  It stars one of the secondary characters that I was super interested in from this book!

“It takes talent to be a gawking hot mess, and I am a gawking hot mess to the third power.” 

Three Cards






2 comments:

  1. I bought the ebook when it first came out, because I think it was like 1.99--and I'm a fan of her losing it books. I haven't been feeling particularly compelled to read it. The reviews have been decent but I don't like when I can't connect with the characters and I hate it even more when the girl can't get over her past and ruins a decent relationship. Sure, this happen and they hurt but when reading about it and it goes on for a while I get annoyed. Great review! First really honest one I've seen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of those "when I have time" reads. Its not spectacular but it's worth it once you pick it up. I agree, when I girl holds onto the past that it start to affect present or future relationships, I get really frustrated. Thank you!!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns