Tuesday, October 1, 2013

ARC Review: Wild Cards

Title:  Wild Cards
Series:  Wild Cards #1
Author:  Simone Elkeles 
Published:  October 1, 2013 by Walker Books
Source:  A copy was provided by the publisher through Netgalley.  Thank you!
After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama.

Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about leave without a backward glance. A football scholarship would finally give her the chance to leave. So she pours everything into winning a state championship, until her boyfriend and star quarterback betrays them all by joining their rival team. Ashtyn needs a new game plan, but it requires trusting Derek—someone she barely knows, someone born to break the rules. Is she willing to put her heart on the line to try and win it all?
My Review:  I was really excited to get the chance to read this book.  After reading the blurb and seeing the cover, I was interested.  When I read that one of the main characters have the same name as I do (Ashtyn), the deal was sealed! (I've never read a book that had my name in it!)

The premise of this book was great.  I loved that Ashtyn was a football player.  She was such a bad ass and I love it!  She totally held her own against all the guys but still maintained her femininity throughout the story.  I thought that it was awesome how the author mixed those two things together.  She was a tough chick and I adored that about her!  However, she had her moments where I just couldn't stand her.  Several moments.  She completely assumed that Derek was a player before having a real conversation with him and judged far too quickly.  And then her feelings changed from hate to love in two seconds flat.  Not only did they change quickly, but she stubbornly continued to be a complete jerk to him until the very end.  She was a hard character for me to like and connect with. 

I liked Derek a lot more.  I thought he was a genuinely nice guy and didn't understand why everyone was labeling him a player.  I don't think his actions suggested that at all.  Not only was he a nice guy, he was also really interesting.  I loved learning more about his background with his parents and family in general.  His back story was very well developed and fit well with who he presented himself to be.  

The romance, like I said before, was a quick flip from hate to love.  Had it been a slower and more gradual development, I feel like it would have been a lot more satisfying and enjoyable.  Though I must admit, I really liked the end.  It was a bit quick but still super awesome!  I totally flailed like a fan girl.  

This book, while there are some problems with Ashtyn, was pretty good.  It kept me interested and I thought the plot was great.  Derek was a sweet heart and I seriously love him!  If you're a romance or Simone Elkeles fan, I would definitely recommend this one!  

Three Cards


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns