Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Review: Glitch

Title:  Glitch
Series:  Glitch #1
Author:  Heather Anastasiu
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin
Pages:  308
Format:  Paperback
Source:  ARCycling!  Thank you!
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.
My Review:  I'm so conflicted with this book.  I'm not exactly sure how I liked it.  There were definitely parts that I enjoyed but there were other parts that I just didn't care for at all.  It took me a long time to get through but it wasn't because I just blatantly didn't like it. 

One of the things I really did enjoy in this book was the overall concept.  I thought that the idea that humans were altered so they weren't able to feel emotions was really interesting and set up for a great story.  There were so many possibilities and I was happy with how the story started and where it looked like it was going to go.  I enjoyed learning all about the world and thought it was so interesting that you might be in a family and not care at all about your parents or kids or siblings.  How horrible would that be?  It was an absolutely wonderfully built world with a lot of little details sprinkled throughout that really made it just pop off the pages.  

I think my biggest problem with this book was Zoe.  I just didn't connect very well with her at all.  I thought that she made a lot of really bad decisions and acted so naive.  I mean, I got that this was all new to her but the program didn't turn off common sense, just your emotions.  She was just so clueless sometimes, it made me unbelievably frustrated.  

I also didn't care very much for either Max or Adrien.  I didn't feel like I got to know them well enough to root for one or the other in this little love triangle.  I only reason I chose one over the other was because one of them turned out to be a complete and utter jerk.  But still, I'd like to learn more about them.  If I don't, I just won't care at all about their relationship with Zoe. 

While the middle of the book got a little muddled for me, the end was actually really good.  I thought it was fast paced and action packed and wrapped up the book nicely.  It left me wanting to know what would happen next!  I hope that in the next book Zoe learns some stuff and we get to know the love interests better. 

     Three Cards


1 comment:

  1. Great review Ashtyn, this book sounds like it's got really good potential, I do hope that Anastasiu works a better outcome for the consecutive books in the series :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns