Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: Anna and the French Kiss

Title:  Anna and the French Kiss
Series:  N/A
Author:  Stephanie Perkins
Publisher:  Dutton
Pages:  372
Format:  Hardcover

Summary:  Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?

My Review:  After reading this book, I suddenly have the urge to move to Paris to finish out my highschool years.  

Seriously, how cool would that be?  


I was really impressed with Perkins and her amazing attention to detail.  The way she described Paris was so awesomely realistic that I felt like I was walking along the streets with Anna and the gang.  It was especially special to me since I've visited Paris before myself.  It was fun comparing all the places they visited and saw with my own experiences.  


Not only did Perkins paint beautiful illustrations for the setting, her characters were all pretty wonderful, too.  They each had their own unique personalities and purpose in this book and I appreciated that a lot.  Nothing spoils a book more for me than a bunch of flat characters.  And considering Anna attended a boarding school with lots of other students, it would have been easy to make all the characters boring and forgettable.  


Her plot was also great!  All the characters were dealing with realistic and relatable problems.  As a teenager myself, I found it easy to sympathize with - not only Anna - but every one of the characters and what they were going through.


And, of course, there was Etienne St. Clair.  I cannot even put into words how much I love this guy.  He's just absolutely adorable and - guess what - not a jerk!  Hallelujah!  *throws confetti* *happy dances*  Sure, there's definite appeal when it comes to those protective bad boys in YA fiction but it was just so refreshing to find a truly genuine and unique male main character.  He was sweet, polite, loved his mom, and short.  He wasn't all sharp edges and bad attitude!  Makes me want to just jump into the book and tackle-hug him!  


I didn't have really any problems with Anna either.  She had her high points and her low points and she was never perfect and I adored her for that.  She dealt with her problems (though, I'll admit, badly at times) realistically and sucked up her pride when it counted.  


This book is going down as a favorite.  I haven't had a chance to read any of Perkins's other books but I'm going to try to get my hands on them ASAP!  

Five Cards


    


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns