Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review: Touch of Frost

Title:  Touch of Frost
Series:  Mythos Academy #1
Author:  Jennifer Estep
Publisher:  Kensington Publisher Corp.
Pages:  385
Format:  eBook


Summary:  My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why— especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

My Review:  I was first hooked by the synopsis of this book.  Sure, it wasn't all that original but the idea of ancient warriors, myths, and hot Spartan guys definitely had me interested!
Though it wasn't a necessarily dark book, it had some darker themes like murder and killing.  Surprisingly, it didn't bother me as much in this book as it has in others.  I think this is because of the authors voice in the story.  I didn't feel a lot of emotion in it which did take away from the overall story.  I could imagine the characters pain and sympathize with them but I didn't get that heart twisting, gut wrenching feeling I do in other books.  
Our main character Gwen is a fairly likable and sympathetic girl.  She'd recently lost her mom and I can understand how absolutely terrible that is but at the same time, I don't need three pages explaining her pain every chapter.  I do sympathize with her and understand that this is a big part of who she is and how she matures throughout the story.  I just feel like it took away from certain scenes while reading.  
We also have Logan, our hero in this story.  I actually really enjoyed Logan.  Though there wasn't a lot of really steamy romance, I did feel it in the story.  I thought it was an interesting twist that Gwen couldn't touch his skin without flashing on all of his thoughts and feelings, especially because it's hinted that Logan is hiding a big secret.  I'm curious to see how that plays out and when we'll learn more about this mysterious heart throb.  
I felt what really drove the story was its plot.  Normally, I like very character driven books but I didn't have a problem letting the plot steal my attention this time.  It was nicely thought out and detailed, a must when writing a mystery.  I was insanely curious as to who had killed Jasmine and completely floored when everything unfolded at the end.  I just hadn't been expecting that.  But looking back now that I'm finished, I clearly see all the clues the author laid out for us.  
Though the writing and the heroine were a little weak, I felt like this was a pretty decent read.  It kept me on my toes and waiting to see what would happen next.  I'm excited to begin the next book, Kiss of Frost!  
Four Feathers


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns