Monday, June 16, 2014

Review: Sweet Reckoning

Title:  Sweet Reckoning
Series:  The Sweet Trilogy #3
Author:  Wendy Higgins
Age Group:  Young Adult
Publication Date:  April 29, 2014 by HarperTeen
Source: Bought
It’s time.
Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.
The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.
In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom.
Find Sweet Reckoning online

My Review:  This series holds a seriously special place in my heart.  The first installment, Sweet Evil, was the book that pushed me to create my blog.  I was so excited about it that I just needed to share my thoughts with others.  Seeing this story come to a close is bitter sweet.  I hate to see these characters go but, with this book, it ended so perfectly that I can't help but be happy.

I thought I loved these characters in the first book, but as the series has gone on, I've found myself loving them more and more.  They have all grown so much throughout this series.  I loved how much more sure of herself Anna was.  Seeing the way she was able to hold her own in a fight and use the abilities she has was amazing.  She was so brave throughout the book and did what had to be done, but still held onto the goodness and the love that she started the series with.  And, of course, there was Kaidan.  Can we all just take a moment and appreciate him?  Because, seriously, holy crap, I love this guy so much.  Everything about him is, of course, outrageously attractive, but I adored seeing more of his sweet, caring side in this novel.  He's the perfect book boyfriend and I love him.



All of the other characters were amazing, too.  I loved the sense of kinship between all the Nephilim. Seeing the way they all came together and were working toward a common goal maybe me all giddy and excited.  I liked seeing the way their own stories were developing and growing in this book and we got to know a little more about them.  If there was one thing I wish we could have seen more is Anna having time to get to know them alone and not with the whole group.  I feel like we would have seen even more of who they are and what they're doing.  

The plot was really exciting!  It took a little bit to get rolling in the beginning but I still enjoyed reading it.  I was entertained the entire time and rooting for the characters.  There was so many things that happened that sent my heart racing (in both good and bad ways).  One moment, I was swooning and the next I was staring at the book in shock.  My emotions were on a roller coaster but I loved it.

Sweet Reckoning was a beautiful and perfectly fit end for an amazing series.  This is a series I will miss dearly but know I will go back and reread!  These characters have all found a special place in my heart and I'm excited to see what Wendy comes up with next! 


“This is right, Kai. We love each other.'
He closed his eyes. 'I'd do anything for you.'
'Just love me,' I whispered” 


Five Cards

P.S. Wonderland's Reader turned 2 recently!  To celebrate, I'm hosting a giveaway where you can win an Amazon gift card and some awesome books!  Check it out here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns