Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Review: The One

Title:  The One
Series:  The Selection #3
Author:  Kiera Cass
Age Group:  Young Adult
Publication Date:  May 6, 2014 by HarperTeen
Source:  Bought
The highly anticipated conclusion to Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series, The One will captivate readers who love dystopian YA fiction and fairy tales. The One is the perfect finale for fans who have followed America's whirlwind romance since it began--and a swoon-worthy read for teens who have devoured Veronica Roth's Divergent, Ally Condie's Matched, or Lauren Oliver's Delirium.
The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.
Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!
Find The One online

My Review:  Wow, this series.  Honestly, I can't say I completely loved reading this.  There were many moments when I was so frustrated I seriously contemplated throwing my kindle across the room.  But then there were other moments when I just sat there smiling and flailing because I couldn't handle the feels.  One thing I can say is that, while reading The One, I was entertained the entire time.

I was really upset with the start of this book.  I felt slightly cheated because all of the characters, from America to Maxon to Kriss, were acting totally out of character.  I couldn't believe that America was going to try to win over Maxon by trying to seduce him.  I was so frustrated because, hello, he obviously liked you already without you having to do those things.  It was really this line that pushed me over the annoyance edge

"I thought of a soldier going to war.  Different armor but the same idea.  Tonight I was taking down a man."


After that disaster of a first two chapters, things started going back to normal.  I was still annoyed with America because of her indecisiveness and her inability to tell a certain someone about a certain someone so a certain something wouldn't blow up in her face in the end, if you get what I'm saying.  Maxon, of course, I loved.  Even though he had his "America" moments, I still adored having him around and spending time with him because, lets face it, he's super cute and charming.   I was surprised by how much I didn't like the other girls in this installment, though.  In the first two books, I actually really liked Kriss and Elise but in this one, I could not stand them.  They were petty and jealous almost the entire time.  The only girl I actually really liked was Celeste and that was totally shocking.  

The plot focused mostly on the remainder of the selection and the romance between Maxon and America.  I really feel like the selection should have ended in the middle of the second book and this book should have been focused on the rebels.  As it was, the rebels story line felt like a second thought, thrown in just so this series wasn't all about the selection.  Some of the twist involving rebels and who was what were not surprising at all.  In fact, I had guess a lot of the twists that popped up in this book after reading the first one.  

Don't take this review the wrong way.  I really enjoyed reading this book.  It's a guilty pleasure read and I had fun with it.  However, there's a lot of things that could have been changed that would have made it a lot better.  I'm satisfied with how this series ended, though I do with the epilogue would have gone farther into the future. 

“It doesn't really matter how you feel about your character; it just matters what you do with it.” 

Three Cards

P.S. Wonderland's Reader recently turned 2!  To celebrate, we're hosting a giveaway!  There's a lot of awesome prizes, such as an Amazon gift card and some sweet books!  Check it out here.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns