Friday, January 17, 2014

Review: These Broken Stars

Title:  These Broken Stars
Series:  Starbound #1
Author(s):  Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Published:  December 10, 2013 by Disney Hyperion 
Source:  Gifted
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
My Review:  This novel was something I didn't quite expect which isn't, in this case, a bad thing.  It was very easy to get  caught up in the excitement sweeping through the book community about this book and I was nervous that it would not live up to my impossibly high expectations.  These Broken Stars far exceeded those expectations and rose to the challenge of being over hyped and, truthfully, won.  This story was one full of heart-thumping romance, desperate survival, and mystery that had chills running down my spine on more than one occasion.

First of all, I adored the dual point of views this story was told in.  Being able to see both from Tarver and Lilac's eyes was essential to the plot of the story and their voices complimented each other wonderfully.  The fact that they came from completely different worlds was a major part of why they worked so well together.  They both had different skills and knowledge to aid in their survival on this seemingly deserted planet.  They saw this rural landscape in very different ways.  I also very much liked that they were not stereotypical products of their positions in society.  Lilac, though an heiress, had a depth I did not expect and was emotionally well rounded.  I respected her for her decisions and actions and felt for her and the conflicts she had to deal with.  She continued to grow and become more likable and personable as the story progressed and I really enjoyed her character arc throughout the novel.  

Tarver was, like Lilac, very well rounded.  He proved that he was not only a war hero but, in fact, had many different facets to him.  I enjoyed getting a peek at both his softer and more vulnerable side as well as the tough, stubborn soldier.  Not to mention that he was extremely swoon-worthy.  He was very compassionate and sweet and I loved to see the way Lilac slowly changed in his eyes as he himself grew and was willing to open up more.

Another worth while mention is the outstanding writing style.  The descriptions and the dialogue were all so believable and real.  I was completely transported to this new and unfamiliar world and I fell utterly in love.  The authors did a marvelous job at conveying the emotions of these two characters and creating the right tone at the necessary spots.  At times I was blushing and cheering and at others I was hiding under my covers because of the surprisingly creepy elements of this novel.  I also really enjoyed the interragations at the beginning of each chapter.  It made me nervous about the end at the same time as making me laugh out loud because Tarver is amazing and hilarious.   They were an interesting and unique element that helped this book stand out even more.  

I thoroughly enjoyed reading These Broken Stars.  It was a fantastic novel that had everything I look for in a book: characters that stole my heart, a plot that kept me at the edge of my seat, and a world that I would love to jump into and explore.  Though the next book in this series is a companion and we won't be solely following Tarver and Lilac, I know I will happily pick it up and give the new characters a chance.  After reading this book, I have little doubt that Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner will not disappoint us!

Five Cards




 

2 comments:

  1. I think the main fail of this book was technically, there wasn't much Sci-Fi, for a Sc-Fi novel, and more of a survival story and character focused, but I don't freaking care because it was amazing. I loved every bit of it, even if THAT scene was completely mean and stabbed me In the heart, but damn. So can't wait for the next one. Glad you enjoyed it, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I was completely swept away with this one. I enjoyed the growth of the characters, not only in their own personal development, but how they developed together. An amazing story!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns