Thursday, January 16, 2014

Movie Review: The Lone Ranger

Title:  The Lone Ranger
Rating:  PG-13
Director:  Gore Verbinski
Main Cast:  Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, William Fichtner
Seen:  At home
In the 1930s, an elderly Tonto tells a young boy the tale of John Reid, the Lone Ranger. An idealistic lawyer, he rides with his brother and fellow Texas Rangers in pursuit of the notorious Butch Cavendish. Ambushed by the outlaw and left for dead, John Reid is rescued by the renegade Comanche, Tonto, at the insistence of a mysterious white horse and offers to help him to bring Cavendish to justice. Becoming a reluctant masked rider with a seemingly incomprehensible partner, Reid pursues the criminal against all obstacles. However, John and Tonto learn that Cavendish is only part of a far greater injustice and the pair must fight it in an adventure that would make them a legend. *summary found here*
My Review:  I first saw this movie in the theater and was completely taken with the action, adventure, and old west fun.  I thought the movie was wonderful - exciting, funny, and with a killer cast.  While I wasn't as in love with it watching it the second time around at home, I still enjoyed being caught up in the story once again!

First of all, I have to say that the cast was absolutely spectacular.  While this movie is called The Lone Ranger, it's really Tonto (played by Johnny Depp) - John Reid's (played by Armie Hammer) side kick - who steals the show.  His performance is believable and hilarious.  He added humor that was vital to the movie's success in my opinion.  Armie Hammer did a fantastic job as well.  His awkwardness and unsureness were perfect for the character and I thought he was endearing.  I liked seeing how he changed and progressed throughout the movie and how he became more confident and sure of himself.  

While there were some rather cheesy action scenes, it was easy to look past and just sit back and enjoy the show.  I let myself have fun with this movie rather than take it as something very serious.  I had a blast watching and rooting for The Lone Ranger and Tonto in these scenes!  

My only big problem was how this movie was organized.  It was a little confusing switching from scene to scene without seeing the whole picture.  It wasn't until the very end when all the puzzle pieces were fitted into their correct places that we could see how everything happened.  I would have liked a more clear and less choppy edit. 

The Lone Ranger was a fun, hilarious movie that kept me engaged and excited throughout.  While the editing wasn't my favorite, it didn't take much away from my enjoyment of the action, the beautifully done acting, and the interesting story.  I hope that The Lone Ranger and Tonto's story continue with a sequel!  

Four Cards


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns