Monday, July 30, 2018

Review: A Court of Frost and Starlight

Title: A Court of Frost and Starlight 
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #3.1
Author: Sarah J. Maas 
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy, Romance 
Publisher: Bloomsbury YA 
Publication Date: May 1, 2018 
Source: Bought 

Hope warms the coldest night.
Feyre, Rhys, and their close-knit circle of friends are still busy rebuilding the Night Court and the vastly-changed world beyond. But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it, a hard-earned reprieve.
Yet even the festive atmosphere can't keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated--scars that will have far-reaching impact on the future of their Court.




I'm a happy little peach whenever I get to read a new Sarah J. Maas book. Her writing has inspired me so much as I've worked on my own writing and stories. A Court of Thorns and Roses has been one of my all-time favorite series since I read the first book and while I'm not a huge fan of novellas, I knew I would read this one when it was first announced! While I enjoyed spending time with these characters and in this world, it sort of felt like something was missing from this novella for me. 

Feyre, Rhysand, and the Inner Circle are so much fun to read about -- I love learning more about their history and seeing the way they all interact with each other. Sarah does an incredible job of creating and developing unique and dynamic relationships between each of them individually as well as a whole group. It felt like this novella was mostly spent just exploring these relationships further and setting things up for future novels in the story. We did get a couple of new perspectives -- I think it was Cassian and Mor, which I really enjoyed, though this did make the story feel a bit disjointed. As much as I love Cassian and Mor, their POVs felt a little forced in this and like they was just set up for future books. 

My biggest issue with this book was the lack of plot. This is a problem I tend to have with novellas just in general but I was a bit disappointed to see it happen with ACOFAS. Most of the story revolved around Feyre finding her own space in Velaris and preparing for the Winter Solstice. It just . . . felt like nothing very exciting happened? It was nice hanging out with the characters but it made me wonder exactly how necessary this novella was. I did set up for the next books a bit but I feel like the next books would've been fine without this one. 

While this wasn't amazing, I still had fun reading about these characters and this setting. I definitely don't think this is a super necessary read -- you could probably get through the series without reading this and you wouldn't really miss anything. If nothing else, it made me even more excited for the next actual novel in this series; it follows two characters (one in particular) that I absolutely love.

“Stars flickered around us, sweet darkness sweeping in. As if we were the only souls in a galaxy.” 

Four out of Five Teapots 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns