Monday, October 9, 2017

Review: An Enchantment of Ravens

Title: An Enchantment of Ravens 
Series: N/A
Author: Margaret Rogerson 
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance 
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publication Date: September 26, 2017
Source: Bought

Isobel is a prodigy portrait artist with a dangerous set of clients: the sinister fair folk, immortal creatures who cannot bake bread, weave cloth, or put a pen to paper without crumbling to dust. They crave human Craft with a terrible thirst, and Isobel’s paintings are highly prized among them. But when she receives her first royal patron—Rook, the autumn prince—she makes a terrible mistake. She paints mortal sorrow in his eyes – a weakness that could cost him his life.
Furious and devastated, Rook spirits her away to the autumnlands to stand trial for her crime. Waylaid by the Wild Hunt’s ghostly hounds, the tainted influence of the Alder King, and hideous monsters risen from barrow mounds, Isobel and Rook depend on one another for survival. Their alliance blossoms into trust, then love, violating the fair folks’ ruthless Good Law. There's only one way to save both their lives, Isobel must drink from the Green Well, whose water will transform her into a fair one—at the cost of her Craft, for immortality is as stagnant as it is timeless.
Isobel has a choice: she can sacrifice her art for a future, or arm herself with paint and canvas against the ancient power of the fairy courts. Because secretly, her Craft represents a threat the fair folk have never faced in all the millennia of their unchanging lives: for the first time, her portraits have the power to make them feel.

Find An Enchantment of Ravens online!
I have such a thing for faeries.  They're my favorite fantasy/supernatural creature to read about (and write about).  I just find them so cool.  So when my friend brought this book to my attention, there was never a question about whether I would read it.  PLUS it's been compared to A Court of Thorns and Roses?!  Yeah, I was making serious heart-eyes at this book and I'm so happy that it lived up to my expectations!

The world building was one of my favorite aspects of this novel.  It was a high fantasy in a completely new world but all the rules made sense and connected easily.  I never found myself confused or lost when it came to the parameters of what was possible and what wasn't possible.  The lives of the humans and the faeries made sense to me, as well as how they interacted and the way their relationships worked.  It was so complex and full of details but it all worked together seamlessly.  The author clearly put in the work to make this world feel real.  I loved it.  

Isobel and Rook were amazing characters.  I couldn't get enough of their hilarious interactions, arguments, and adventures.  I was a bit worried at first because their relationship almost felt like instalove but luckily, that didn't end up happening.  Their relationship progressed really well and I had a lot of fun watching them slowly grow to get to know each other and understand each other.  Isobel was a strong and smart character.  She was easy to get behind and cheer on and she proved herself countless times.  Rook was just an adorable little cinnamon roll.  He was arrogant and cocky but he really showed his vulnerability at times.  I honestly just love this character so much.

I'm so sad that this book isn't apart of a series (at least not currently).  While the ending wrapped up nicely, there were some questions remaining that I'm desperate to get answers for.  I'd love to get another book in this world and I hope that with the success this book has achieved so far, that will happen! 

“You are like a living rose among wax flowers. We maybe last forever, but you bloom brighter and smell sweeter, and draw blood with your thorns.”

Five out of Five Teapots!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns