Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sometimes I: Go To College


Recently, my life has been changing a lot and very quickly.  I'm in that precarious stage of existence where I'm no longer a child but I'm not really an adult.  Because of this, my routine, activities, and the people in my life are all changing.  Reading is and will always be my one true love, my favorite activity, and - frankly - the thing that keeps me from going bonkers.  But I figured it was high time that I share some other parts of my life with you guys!  


One of the most significant parts of my life is getting an education and I've decided now is the best time to talk about that!  You know, since it's currently summer and talking about school is more fun when you aren't currently experiencing it.  For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to go to college.  I was fortunate enough to be awarded that opportunity after graduating from high school.  I even was able to choose to go to a school out of state.  I grew up in California but I'm now living and going to a university in Washington state.  The change is scenery is extreme but I'm loving it. 

Actual picture I took of the sunset from my campus.  Like, holy cow guys.  Look at that.  I'm making heart eyes at that view right now.

I'm going into my third year at this school and I've been working pretty hard.  Last quarter, I was able to declare my major: English with an emphasis in Creative Writing.  I'm really excited about it, guys.  I love creative writing so much and I love reading.  But that doesn't mean it's easy.  

Almost everytime I tell anyone what I'm majoring in, I get the whole "...ooooh.  Um.  Well, are you going to be a teacher?" A couple awkward smiles and reassuring nods when I tell them that no, actually, I don't want to be a teacher.  I want to go into publishing.  And, of course, once I bring that up it's "How much money do you expect to make?"  "Isn't publishing a dying industry?"  "What exactly do you want to do?"  


These types of comments and questions are pretty typical and I try not to let them bother me but . . . I've got to admit, it can be scary.  They bring up all of my fears and uncertainties about what I want to do which, if I'm being completely honest, I don't exactly know.  I mean, I only just turned twenty!  I have a general idea what I want to do and I know it has something to do with books but, beyond that, I'm stumped.  

What I do know is that I love books and I love writing and I love this whole blogging community.  And I'm so happy and proud of myself for working toward something I'm passionate about.  Going to college for creative writing, no many how many people doubt and question it, is what's right for me.  

College is, by far, my favorite type of schooling.  I love the choices I'm able to make, like the three classes I was able to choose for this next quarter this coming September.  Since I'm officially in the creative writing major, I was able to get first pick of the english classes and was lucky enough to get into one studying Young Adult Literature!  As I'm sure you can guess, I'm extra excited about this one.  We will be reading books like The Outsiders, I'll Give You the Sun, and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.  

I'm also going to be taking a second English class (yay, all the reading!) which, I'll admit, I'm a little less excited for.  This one studies the literature of the long 18th century.  I'm not exactly sure what books I'll be reading in this one, but I'm sure it will be interesting all the same.  

My third class won't be an English class at all.  I decided to take a break from all the novel reading and sign up to take a Psychology course!  It's introductory but I've always been interested in psychology so I'm looking forward to it.

College is tough but amazing.  I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world.  I've witnessed myself grow these past couple years since I've been enrolled and I'm excited to see where these next couple years bring me.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns