Thursday, July 30, 2015

Review: Shadow of the Wolf

Title:  Shadow of the Wolf
Series:  Sherwood's Doom #1
Author:  Tim Hall
Age Group:  Young Adult
Publisher:  David Fickling Books 
Publication Date:  May 26, 2015
Source:  Bought

Forget everything you've ever heard about Robin Hood.
Robin Loxley is seven years old when his parents disappear without a trace. Years later the great love of his life, Marian, is also taken from him. Driven by these mysteries, and this anguish, Robin follows a darkening path into the ancient heart of Sherwood Forest. What he encounters there will leave him transformed . . .
The first book of a trilogy, Shadow of the Wolf is a breathtakingly original--and utterly compelling--retelling that will forever alter the legend of Robin Hood.


Find Shadow of the Wolf online


You know those books that just sort of sneak up on you?  That you don't realize you're in love with until you can't take your eyes off the page and you're fighting to spend every waking moment with?  Yeah, Shadow of the Wolf is that book for me.  It was a very spur of the moment buy.  In fact, I knew absolutely nothing about it besides the fact that I liked the cover when I picked it out at Barnes and Noble and I'm so glad I did.  Dark and twisty, this book captured my attention and still hasn't let go.  

I'm a pretty big fan of retellings, especially after having read Cinder by Marissa Meyer.  I have never read a Robin Hood retelling until this one and I was completely blown away.  While most of the basic premise from the legend can still be found throughout this story, Tim Hall made this one completely his own.  It was creepy and gritty and mixed with chilling supernatural elements that came together perfectly.  I honestly couldn't get enough of it.  Before I had even finished I was going around shoving this book in people's faces, begging them to read it.  I'm shocked that more people haven't picked it up yet.  While this definitely might not be some people's cup of tea because of the violence and the occasional long paragraph of description, it brings a lot to the table that many won't want to miss.  

Without a doubt, my favorite part of this book was the characters.  Robin and Marian had a chemistry that came to life on the page, both complimenting the other in different ways.  I loved seeing the way their relationship grew from them as children to them as teenagers.  Their interactions had me both laughing out loud and aww-ing while I watched them grow together.  They were lovely and strong together and 
apart they were just as wonderful.  I especially liked Marian's stubbornness and refusal to give up.  If she had an idea of how she wanted something to go, she would stop at nothing to make that happen.  Her sass and snark went well with Robin's stoic nature and patience.  He'd learned from a young age to have patience when you're hunting and as he went through his time, hunting those who had taken his loved ones away, this really showed through.  Overall, I just really adored them and their dynamic.  I ship them to hard and I love their unwavering devotion and loyalty toward one another. 

This book wasn't exactly what I expected; it was better.  Far exceeding my expectations, I am totally in love with this series.  It was intense and full of heart pounding scenes that left me tearing through the pages to find out what happens next.  I'm already eager to get my hands on the next book in this trilogy.  

"A world of gods and monsters, rolling their final dice.  A time of heroes and demons, and the horror that shadows both.  The world of Robin Hood..."

 Five Teapots

2 comments:

  1. why why why? robin hood was fine being human. but since u loved it.. i might look for it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry! I know the cover and title are a little misleading but Robin is still human in this book! :D No werewolf Robin ... yet at least :)

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns