Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Review: The Write Stuff

Title:  The Write Stuff
Series:  None
Author:  Tiffany King (Wesbite | Twitter)
Age Group:  New Adult
Publisher:  A.T. Publishing LLC
Publication Date:  August 25, 2014
Source:  Bought
Twenty-two-year-old historical romance writer Nicole Blake, or N.S. Blake to her readers, hasn't taken an official poll, mind you, but she is convinced she may be the only romance author on the planet who is still a card-carrying member of the virgin club.Not that she hasn't tried to end her membership. Life just keeps finding pesky ways to interfere. With no prospects on the horizon, Nicole begins to feel like the closest she will ever get to experiencing a man is within her own stories.
Opportunity presents itself in the form of hot-as-sin-on-a-lollipop-stick bartender/premed student Alec Petropoulos, who agrees to be the cover model for her upcoming book. Sparks fly instantly between them, and Nicole begins to entertain the possibility that she's finally found the right guy to hand over her tattered V-card. Alec has all the makings for a perfect one-night-stand candidate except, much to Nicole's surprise, he seems to be the only man in existence not interested in bagging a virgin.
Stuck between a rock and a stubborn male, what's a virgin to do? Seduce him, of course. How hard could it be? If it works for the characters in her stories, why wouldn't it work for her? After all, what happens under the cover…stays under the cover.
Find The Write Stuff online

My Review:  Reading this book made me feel like I had a backstage pass to the world of an author.  As I hope to one day publish my own novels, that made this book doubly awesome.  While, yes, this book mainly focuses on the relationship forming between Nicole and Alec, there are a lot of scenes about her writing process, the publishing process as a self published author, and the time spent promoting her books.  So, all that was really an added bonus to a fun, hilarious, and light-hearted novel!  

I saw so much of myself in Nicole.  She was much more comfortable behind her computer screen than she was out in the world face-to-face with people.  I admired her hard work and how much time and effort she put into her books.  And I also really enjoyed seeing the way she learned to interact with fans as she came in contact with them more.  She was so nervous but she loved and appreciated them enough to make an effort.

Alec won me over, too, despite his less than wonderful second impression of him.  He was a really fun and caring guy and I appreciated that he was able to push aside differences and be mature when the situation needed it.  The way he supported and cheered on Nicole was sweet and would have made my eyes turn into hearts if they could do that.


The plot was okay.  It mainly focused on Nicole and Alec going on a tour for Nicole's newest release.  Because of that, some of it was a little repetitive.  There was a lot of setting up the booth scenes and talking to fans scenes and fan gushing over how hot a shirtless Alec was.  But in between those sections, things were fast and entertaining.  It was a lot of fun watching the way Alec and Nicole interacted.  

The Write Stuff was a fun, quick read and I would definitely recommend it, especially to those interested in writing themselves.  Like I said, it focuses a lot on the romance but also on the writing process as a whole.  

"Winking to me was like liquor to an alcoholic and he was getting me drunk."

Four Cards

P.S.: Wonderland's Reader recently reached 300 followers!  To celebrate, I'm hosting a giveaway in which you can win five AWESOME books!  Enter here.



   

1 comment:

  1. I got this as an Amazon recommendation but I was never sure if I should pick it up. It sounds interesting enough. I might check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns