Friday, September 12, 2014

Review: Scoring Wilder

Title:  Scoring Wilder
Series:  None
Author:  R.S. Grey (Facebook | Twitter
Age Group:  New Adult 
Publisher:  R.S. Grey
Publication Date:  June 15, 2014
Source:  Bought 
With Olympic tryouts on the horizon, the last thing nineteen-year-old Kinsley Bryant needs to add to her plate is Liam Wilder. He's a professional soccer player, America's favorite bad-boy, and has all the qualities of a skilled panty-dropper.
• A face that makes girls weep – check.
• Abs that can shred Parmesan cheese (the expensive kind) – check.
• Enough confidence to shift the earth’s gravitational pull – double check.
Not to mention Liam is strictly off limits . Forbidden. Her coaches have made that perfectly clear. (i.e. “Score with Coach Wilder anywhere other than the field and you’ll be cut from the team faster than you can count his tattoos.”) But that just makes him all the more enticing…Besides, Kinsley's already counted the visible ones, and she is not one to leave a project unfinished.
Kinsley tries to play the game her way as they navigate through forbidden territory, but Liam is determined to teach her a whole new definition for the term “team bonding.”
A fun & sexy New Adult Romance (age 17+)
Find Scoring Wilder online

My Review:  When I first read this book, I was like "OH MY GOSH THIS IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD.  READ IT".  But after letting it sit for a bit, I'm more meh about it now.  There are some really great aspects but I don't think it will be a book that I'm running back to very often.  I never found myself bored throughout the book but after finishing it and putting it down for a few weeks, it's forgettable.  

The characters in this book are good.  Honestly, it took me a couple chapters to warm up to Kinsley. She just seemed like such a hyper party girl and I was worn out by her in the first twenty pages or so. But once she started to calm down, I was able to enjoy her story and her personality.  She's definitely one of those girls that always needs to be doing something.  I really liked Liam, too.  I thought he was mature and smoking hot.  Seriously.  And, bonus, he was a soccer player.  *dreamy sigh* He balanced out Kinsley perfectly and I really enjoyed that they were a couple years apart, age wise.  He was able to help her get situated when it came to the press and becoming a big-star soccer player.  

There was a lot of humor in this book, too.  I wouldn't say it was to laugh-out-loud point but it definitely kept the writing light and fun and it added a lot to Kinsley's character.   

One thing I really didn't like was the "mean girl" in this book (I can't even remember her name right now).  I didn't understand why she disliked Kinsley so much.  Like, yeah, she was jealous but it seemed like she was angry with Kinsley even before that.  I was getting really frustrated with Kinsley for not sticking up for herself and her friends when the mean girl's antics were going too far.  She did work as a villain type figure but it still got on my nerves.  

If you're looking for a light, romantic, quick read, Scoring Wilder is for you.  It's one of those rest and relaxation day sort of reads.  Goes perfectly with a lounge chair by the pool and a glass of lemonade!    

“If only we actually were in Harry Potter. I’d totally Crucio her ass. Yeah, that’s right, I’d use one of the Unforgivable Curses. Come at me, Ministry of Magic.” 

“He bent down so I could hear him over the music. "What are you doing here?" he asked with a hard tone.
Okay. Not the best first line. Something like, you look beautiful, have my babies would have been a little bit better.” 

Four Cards

P.S.: Wonderland's Reader recently reached 300 followers!  To celebrate, I'm hosting a giveaway in which you can win five awesome books!  Enter here.  




2 comments:

  1. I've actually passed this book over so many times on Amazon it's amusing. It looks interesting but I'm finding that a lot of NA novels are falling into the same story line. Bad boy, Good girl, sex love, the end. It's getting boring so I'm being picky with the books I choose. I'll probably keep passing this one over. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've passed over this book quite a few times, too. I finally gave in when I saw it and I was in the mood for just a quick NA! While I do recommend it, I don't think it's one of those books everyone will like. Thank you!

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns