Thursday, August 28, 2014

Tea Party Talk: Soul Mates in YA


Love at first sight, fated to be together, the most perfectly perfect couple that ever perfected.  You know what I'm talking about: soul mates in YA fiction.  Either they are done right or they are done horribly wrong.  This sort of connection and relationship within a novel can either make or break it for the readers.  I know, personally, soul mates are a tough sell for me.  I try to stay away from books that even have the words "soul mates" or "meant to be" in the blurb because, well, it too often comes off cheesy and shallow.  


I honestly can't even think of a book right now that does the whole soulmate thing in a way that isn't totally annoying.  When two characters are already supposedly meant for each other, there tends to not be a lot of chemistry between them, as backwards as that sounds.  It's like they don't get a choice as to who they're supposed to be with so they don't try hard to get to know each other.  And that's just when they decide to go along with fate and not try to fight it.  


However, most of the time when two characters are told they are destined to be together, they decide to fight it.  The book that comes to mind when I think of soul mates trying to be apart is Fallen by Lauren Kate.  Honestly, I only read the first book in this series and half of the second.  I just could not stand the relationship between the two main characters, Luce and Daniel.  Like, I don't understand how Luce even found Daniel slightly appealing.  Especially after their first interaction when he just flipped her the bird without ever having met her (to her knowledge).  Is that attractive?


I know there are books out there that do the whole "soul mates" thing right.  It's definitely an interesting concept.  It's just been done so many times that it's hard to make it original and add something new.  And it almost feels like lazy writing.  When an author sticks to characters together with the thought that they're already going to be together no matter what happens, it seems like a cope out.  


What do you guys think about soul mates in YA novels?  What books have your read recently with this type of storyline?




8 comments:

  1. Soul mates which in my mind makes me think insta-love, is a really tough sell. It really is hard to portray. I usually have a better time believing it when the characters are already crushing on each other and gradually get into a relationship. Any rushed relationship is hard to read, and it's especially hard when it seems forced. This is an interesting topic. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go right to insta-love, too. It's so hard to believe because they don't really get to now each other, they just are thrown together. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Interesting question. I think the reason why soul mate type romances can come across as annoying or boring is essentially because the author is taking the choice away from the characters and attributing their fates to destiny alone. They have no control over their own lives-they are just passive pawns in someone else's game. For me, the interest in a story comes from the characters having to make difficult decisions about their own lives and sometimes going down paths they shouldn't. In those kind of plots you can relate to the characters a lot more and wonder how things are going to turn out. When they are declared 'soulmates' early on it kind of takes all the mystery away-you know that somehow they'll end up together in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely! Well put. The most important part in a story is the choices characters make and when that choice is taken away, it takes away a crucial element in the novel.

      Delete
  3. I detest the soulmate angle. To me it's an author's way of quickly advancing a romance. Cheap shot. :P It gets me frustrated and angry, as it's a bit monotonous in books. It's cheating us out of a fully-developing romance. When "soulmate" finds its way into a book, the romance is different. It doesn't develop like it normally should. :/

    Great post idea!!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like a cope out, I agree. It makes the relationship between the two charters feel cheap because they don't have a choice in the matter.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I think it is over done! I think soul mates exist but it seems every YA book does that to get us to connect quickly to the romance in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for noting Fallen, haha. I've read three books and they were horrible. I don't understand how that can be true love. They hardly know each other - Luce changes personality with every incarnation - and Daniel is a selfish butthole who kills her over and over again.

    I hate the term "soulmates" in YA. They've been together for a week and already they're going to be together forever. *headdesk* It's sickening and cheesy and it makes me want to throw books around. What are you, 16? Sure, some teenagers marry their high school sweethearts and they end up alright, but I won't bet any money on that.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns