Monday, August 11, 2014

Review: Virgin

Title:  Virgin
Series:  None
Author:  Radhika Sanghani (Website | Twitter)
Age Group:  New Adult
Publication Date:  August 5, 2014 by Berkley
Source:  Bought
Okay, I admit it…I didn’t do it.
Yet.
This is normal, right?  I mean, just because everyone I know has talked like they’ve already done it doesn’t mean that they’re telling the truth…right?
It’s not like I’m asking for that much. I don’t need the perfect guy. I don’t need candlelight or roses. Honestly, I don’t even need a real bed.
The guys I know complain that girls are always looking for Mr. Right—do I have to wear a sign that says I’m only looking for Mr. Right Now?
Sooooo…anyone out there want sex? Anyone? Hello? Just for fun?
I am not going to die a virgin. One way or another I am going to make this happen.
Hey, what have I got to lose? Besides the obvious.
Find Virgin online

My Review:  This book . . . was not at all what I was expecting.  I honestly don't know what exactly I had been imagining but this raw, awkward, and totally not romantic book was not it.  While the main character in this book is, yes, trying to get rid of her virginity, I felt like it was less about that and more about her learning to love and accept herself.  It was full of hilarity and interesting oh-my-gosh situations that had me reminiscing about myself and my friends but I had problems with the characters that brought this book down for me.  

At first, I really liked our main character, Ellie.  She was awkward and funny and trying to fit in and I saw a lot of myself in her.  But after a few chapters, she just got on my nerves.  She had a completely unhealthy habit of comparing herself to others which was what initially got her into the whole "I must lose my v-card ASAP" mode.  I felt that I multiple occasions this showed more blatantly when she couldn't even be happy for her friend's accomplishments because she was too busy being petty and jealous.   Throughout, she just felt very judgmental and hypocritical.  One instance when she met an "emo" guy especially ticked me off.  The things she thought about him were very rude and instantly made me dislike her. 


Another thing that sort of bothered me about this book was that so many of the secondary characters had names that had four letters.  I know, I know, that's sounds like I'm being super nit-picky about things.  But it was something that really annoyed me for some reason.  I think it might be because, since they all had four lettered names, there wasn't enough variety and I kept mixing them up.  Seriously.  Emma, Lara, Luke, Jack, Paul.  And the main character was named Ellie.  I really mixed up her name and Emma's.  

Besides those problems, I did enjoy this book.  It was hilarious and mostly relatable.  I could see my friends and I within these pages and it made me just want to hug it. This was less swoon-worthy romance that I had expected and more of a coming of age, friendship story.  It was very good just, like I said, not what I had imagined when picking it up.  

Virgin is a hilarious coming of age story about a girl learning to except herself.  It's loaded with tons of relatable situations and fun times but is brought down by the main character who was whiny and jealous.  While not my favorite read, I'm looking forward to seeing what this author comes out with next.  

"The rumor about boys finding virgins sexy was a LIE. It was just some medieval bullshit that old people said to try and make their daughters keep their legs crossed and not get pregnant."

Three Cards




2 comments:

  1. I still haven't finished this one. The story is just going so dramatically different than what I had anticipated. It's making it kind of hard to enjoy. At least you got something out of it. Maybe I will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way. It is not AT ALL what I expected but it wasn't totally horrible. Once I got over my initial surprise at how it was turning out, I was able to enjoy it a bit more.

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns