Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mini Review: Fates (DNF)

Title:  Fates
Series:  Fates #1
Author:  Lanie Bross
Age Group:  Young Adult
Publication Date:  February 11, 2014 by Delacorte Press
Source:  An ARC was given to be by Jen over at Jenuine Cupcakes! Thank you!  
One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.
She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people's fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.
But for the first time, Corinthe feels a tingle of doubt. It begins as a lump in her throat, then grows toward her heart, and suddenly she feels like she is falling all over again--this time for a boy she knows she can never have. Because it is written: one of them must live, and one of them must die. In a universe where every moment, every second, every fate has already been decided, where does love fit in?
My (mini) Review:  So, I didn't finish this novel.  I really hate saying that, but it's true.  I just couldn't bring myself to continue on.  While I loved the sound of it from the blurb and I actually quite liked the cover, I realized as I went into this novel that it really wasn't for me.  It felt disorganized and the world didn't feel real enough for me.  There were a lot of moments when I just sort of sat there and was like "Wait, how can this happen?  Two chapters ago you said this which would mean that this happening is impossible".  I might have been over thinking things but it made it very difficult for me to fall into this one.  

I liked the characters, but not enough to motivate me to continue on with the story to see what would happen to them.  I could see and understand and even sympathize with their struggles and problems but, over all, the characters fell flat for me.  I didn't really feel for Corinthe because she just felt so reserved and unemotional.  Lucas was nice and I really enjoyed seeing the relationships he had with other people but I couldn't quite believe the relationship he had with Corinthe because it happened too quickly.  

Now, I'm not saying there weren't many positive points in this novel.  From what I did see of the world, it was absolutely gorgeous - it could just use some work and fleshing out.  And, like I said, Corinthe and Lucas were nice enough but they didn't come alive as I read.  I just didn't feel the motivation to continue.  But that's not to say someone else won't!

One Card

P.S.:  Wonderland's Reader just turned 2!  To celebrate, I'm hosting a giveaway with lots of awesome prizes!  You can find the post and enter the giveaway here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns