Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Movie Review: Frozen

Title:  Frozen 
Rating:  PG
Directors:  Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee
Writers:  Jennifer Lee, Hans Christian Anerdsen, Chris Buck, Shane Morris
Main Cast:  Kristen Bell, Josh Gad, Idina Menzel
Seen:  At the theater.
Anna, a fearless optimist, sets off on an epic journey - teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven - to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom. From the outside Anna's sister, Elsa looks poised, regal and reserved, but in reality, she lives in fear as she wrestles with a mighty secret-she was born with the power to create ice and snow. It's a beautiful ability, but also extremely dangerous. Haunted by the moment her magic nearly killed her younger sister Anna, Elsa has isolated herself, spending every waking minute trying to suppress her growing powers. Her mounting emotions trigger the magic, accidentally setting off an eternal winter that she can't stop. She fears she's becoming a monster and that no one, not even her sister, can help her. 
Summary found here.
My Review:  Wow.  Wow.  This movie is seriously amazing.  And I know I'm a little late on the train here but I am now a hardcore fan of Frozen.  I went to see it with my friends and was totally blown away by how well this film was done.  The animation, the easy to relate to characters, and the laugh-out-loud humor made me fall absolutely in love with this movie!

The first thing that really struck me was our protagonist, Anna.  I don't think I've ever seen a Disney princess who is so incredibly easy to connect and sympathize with.  She was the perfect blend of awkward, funny, hopeful, and loyal and I adored being able to learn more about her!  Multiple times throughout the movie, she did something and I was just like "wow, that is something I could see myself doing!"  


Besides Anna, I found it very easy to also sympathize with Elsa.  She was so desperately afraid of her powers because of what had happened in the past.  I could see the way she was slowly just closing in on herself as the beginning of the movie progressed and it was so heart breaking.  She cared so deeply for her sister and, in order to protect her, she thought she needed to close her out.  Her entire character arc was just wonderful and I loved seeing the way it unfolded.  

Both Hans and Kristoff were three dimensional and unique characters and even though one of them royally pissed me off, I appreciated that they were both their own people and had their own quirks and motivations for the things they were doing.  And, of course, there was Olaf!  This little guy was my absolute favorite!  He was hilarious and I couldn't help smiling and laughing out loud whenever he was on screen.  He added a much appreciated sense of humor to this movie.  

The plot was amazing and entertaining the entire time!  I was at the edge of my seat, anxious to see what would happen next and how they would figure out a way to fix everything!  It also played well in teaching some very heart warming and meaningful lessons.  

Frozen is a Disney movie that stood out from the rest.  Though it had the trademark princesses, princes, romance, and adventure like the others, it came with a unique and wholly entertaining sense of humor, easily the most relatable heroine yet, and an unconventional true love.  I look forward to watching this movie again and seeing what Disney comes up with next! 

Five Cards


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns