Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Review: Apollyon

Title:  Apollyon
Series:  Covenant #4
Author:  Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published:  April 4th, 2013 by Spencer Hill Press
Source:  Bought
Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.
My Review:  This book was weird for me and I don't know why.  Normally, I can't stop reading the things that Jennifer L. Armentrout writes but for some reason I had the hardest time getting through this one.  I was reading it for weeks before I could finish.  It's not like it wasn't interesting - trust me, far from it.  There was a lot of action and adventure, just like in the books before it and I loved seeing more of Aiden and Alex's relationship, especially with all of the conflict that happened in the beginning.  Perhaps it was just because I had been reading these books back to back without a break but either way, I wish I had enjoyed this book as much as I knew I should have.  

We see a whole knew side of Alex in this book.  She was faced with a seemingly impossible challenge at the end of Deity and it carries into this book.  The things she is forced to do because of who she is and what she has become are hard to watch but I enjoyed seeing the way she evolved more as a character.  In previous books, Alex was naive and impulsive and I enjoyed seeing a stronger and more thoughtful side of her.  She matured quite a bit but still maintained her fun, sarcastic self.  

And then, of course, there was Mr. St. Delphi.  *fans self* Holy hot daimon babies everywhere, how is it possible that every single time I read one of these books, I fall even harder for Aiden?  His sweet, kind side is impossible to resist, just as much as the hot, sarcastic side is.  Where can I find me one of him?  Because seriously, I was swooning all over the place whenever he was on the page.  The way he treated and respected Alex made my heart race.  I loved how they strengthened and complimented each other.  He was there for her no matter how hard things got and the dedication he showed to her was heart-meltingly wonderful.  

The plot was okay.  There was a lot of action and interesting twists that I did not see coming but I also felt like it moved slower than it did in the past books but that could possibly be because I spent such a long time reading it.  I liked seeing Alex use her new found powers in all of the situations she and the rest of the gang were put into.  Her added strength and confidence was so awesome!  I loved seeing the way she was unafraid to take charge in order to protect the ones she loved!

Like I said, I don't know why it took me so long to get through this one.  It had everything I love about JLA's writing in it but I just had such a hard time with it.  I'm going to take some time to get away from this world and story before going into the final book in the series which, after that ending, is sure to be amazing! 

Four Cards


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns