Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Movie Review: Monsters University

Title:  Monsters University
Rating:  G
Director:  Dan Scanlon
Main Cast:  Billy Crystal, John Goodman
Seen:  At home
Ever since college-bound Mike Wazowski was a little monster, he has dreamed of becoming a Scarer - and he knows better than anyone that the best Scarers come from Monsters University (MU). But during his first semester at MU, Mike's plans are derailed when he crosses paths with hotshot James P. Sullivan, "Sulley", a natural-born Scarer. The pair's out-of-control competitive spirit gets them both kicked out of the University's elite Scare Program. To make matters worse, they realize they will have to work together, along with an odd bunch of misfit monsters, if they ever hope to make things right.


 My Thoughts:  As a die-hard fan of the first movie in this series, I was more nervous than anything about this one.  I didn't want it to mess up how I viewed the original.  As a prequel rather than a sequel, this movie had the potential to, for me at least, sour the first.  However, as I sat down to watch, I quickly realized I had nothing to worry about.  Monsters University was a fun, heart warming film that brought depth and background to our two main characters that I hadn't known had been missing in the first movie, Monsters Inc.  

I really enjoyed learning more about the past of Mike and Sully as well as learning more about the Monster world as a whole.  We were able to see outside of the cooperation that was the main setting of the first movie and gain further information about how monsters became the Scarers.  It was a neat experience to see how some of the relationships from the first movie came to be.  I was especially interested to see how Randall - a minor villain in the first movie - came to hate Mike and Sully so much.  It was surprising how that situation unfolded and I enjoyed the unexpectedness of it. 

 The animation was wonderful, as it is in most Disney-Pixar films.  It was colorful and flawlessly done and it made me enjoy watching it.  The dialogue was light and funny but really packed a punch when it needed to.  I felt like the theme of teamwork and friendship was communicated wonderfully through it.  At the end of the movie, I was happy and satisfied with how the story had wrapped up, and also relieved that this movie, while not as good as the first, did not do anything to lessen my love of Monsters Inc.

Monsters University is a film worth watching, especially for fans of the first.  The background and depth it provides on our two favorite monsters is interesting and fun to learn.  It was amazing being able to step back into this world and learn more about it and I'm happy that I took a leap and saw it!

Five Cards


 

1 comment:

  1. It's very easy for me to say that I just love everything Disney/Pixar make :) This movie was adorable and I liked how it shows that we are all good - but sometimes it takes time to find THE thing we're good at :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns