Tuesday, October 22, 2013

ARC Review: The Iron Traitor

Title:  The Iron Traitor
Series:  The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #2
Author:  Julie Kagawa
Published:  October 29, 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Source:  A copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley.  Thank you!
In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice.

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again.

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.
My Review:  I have very mixed feeling about this book.  Normally, Julie Kagawa is a master at hooking me from the very beginning with her books.  With this one, it took me a long time to really get into the story.  I don't know what the beginning was lacking but something was missing.  

Despite the slow start, I still enjoyed seeing Ethan and Kenzie again.  I adored seeing them together - they are just so cute!  Their relationship is strong and they know exactly what they want, even though they have a million and one things stacked against them.  Their loyalty to each other was amazing.  I liked the fact that they were strong as a couple and as individuals!


I really liked seeing some of the old characters, too!  Every time they pop up, I can't help but smile.  I'm so happy that they are still apart of this story despite not being in the main cast of characters.  I also liked the newer characters we're getting to know.  They all have three dimensional personalities and jump right off the pages.

The plot was, like I said before, slow in the beginning. However, it picks up in the middle and we are treated with a story that is action-packed and heart racing!  I love the developing conflict and the villain in this series.  Oh my gosh, and that ending!  Holy cow, how am I going to wait to see what happens after that?!  

While this book definitely has its ups and downs, it was overall fairly enjoyable.  I liked seeing the growing relationship between characters and catching glimpses of past ones.  I'm still not sure how I'm feeling about it but, after that ending, I'll definitely be picking up the next book to see what happens!

Three Cards


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns