Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review: Angelfall

Title:  Angelfall
Series:  Penryn & the End of Days #1
Author:  Susan Ee
Publisher:  Feral Dream
Pages:  282
Format:  Paperback
Source:  Bought
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.
My Review:  I knew this book was going to be good but I had no idea it would be this absolutely epic.  It kept me up late into the night reading, flipping through the pages to find out what was going to happen next.  There were so many different elements that all came together beautifully and made this book so memorable.  

We're thrust right into the action from the very first page.  I loved the immediate thrill I felt when I began reading.  It was so awesome to see Penryn in a situation like that right away and it made it easy to really get a feel for who she is and what her goals are.  She's had to take care of her mom and her sister for a long time and now the only difference is that she has to take care of them while also dealing with the murderous, evil angels who are trying to take over the world.  We see a lot of strength in her from early on and also see how much she loves her family.  She's extremely loyal and I really loved that about her.  I also loved how she was able to take care of herself.  Those fighting lessons really paid off...

Raffe was a lot of fun to decipher.  I loved his lines (“My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?" I loved that one) and the way he kept himself a mystery.  I was constantly on my toes, wondering what he was going to do next.  Sometimes he seemed like an ally and other times he was the enemy.  It made their relationship interesting and hard to trust at times but always very exciting.

Also, I completely adore Penryn's mom.  She added an extra layer of uniqueness to this book that I fell absolutely in love with.  All of those little things she did and the "clues" she left were exciting but also very strange and creepy.  I still really love her though!

What we learned about the angels and what was actually going on was completely mind blowing to me.  I really hadn't thought something like that would be what was happening but I'm excited to see where it takes us in the next book.  Especially after that ending.  So much happened toward the end!  Everything has sort of shifted and it's hard to figure out what's going to come next.  But that only makes me more anxious to get my hands on the next book!  

Five Cards


1 comment:

  1. I can't stand angel/demon books but I totally loved this one! I already pre-ordered #2. Okay, I will confess, I became so obsessed with Angelfall that I made a page fan.... then I realized all the work that I was going to put into that and deleted it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns