Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: Forget You

Title:  Forget You
Series:  N/A
Author:  Jennifer Echols
Publisher:  MTV Books
Pages:  292
Format:  Paperback
Source:  Bought
 There’s a lot Zoey would like to forget. Like how her father has knocked up his twenty-four-year old girlfriend. Like Zoey’s fear that the whole town will find out about her mom’s nervous breakdown. Like darkly handsome bad boy Doug taunting her at school. Feeling like her life is about to become a complete mess, Zoey fights back the only way she knows how, using her famous attention to detail to make sure she’s the perfect daughter, the perfect student, and the perfect girlfriend to ultra-popular football player Brandon.  But then Zoey is in a car crash, and the next day there’s one thing she can’t remember at all--the entire night before. Did she go parking with Brandon, like she planned? And if so, why does it seem like Brandon is avoiding her? And why is Doug--of all people-- suddenly acting as if something significant happened between the two of them? Zoey dimly remembers Doug pulling her from the wreck, but he keeps referring to what happened that night as if it was more, and it terrifies Zoey to admit how much is a blank to her. Controlled, meticulous Zoey is quickly losing her grip on the all-important details of her life--a life that seems strangely empty of Brandon, and strangely full of Doug.
My Review:  Forget You was a pretty great summer read.  While it wasn't necessarily light and brought up quite a few harder topics, it was easy to get immersed in.  I read the entire thing in one morning, enjoying the roller coaster of emotions it sent me on.  

The plot was my favorite part of this story.  There was a lot of mystery surrounding what had gone on between all of the characters and it was fun trying to piece together the puzzle.  All the clues came at different points in the story and I had a blast guessing and trying to figure out everything.  

The characters were likeable for the most part though they did get on my nerves sometimes.  I felt like Zoey was very irritating in the beginning.  She was always pretending to be the perfect daughter and girlfriend and that just got on my nerves.  I felt like she was just fake.  I also couldn't ignore how naive she seemed to be, especially after what happened with Brandon.  She wasn't handling her situation well at all and, while I understand that she was under a lot of stress, I feel like she just sort of turned...well, stupid.  Doug was a different story.  I liked him a lot and thought that he was a really great guy.  He didn't totally capture my heart but I wouldn't mind spending the day with him :) 

The writing style was good.  It was simple and easy to follow.  It hooked me from the very beginning and pulled me along until the very last page.  Had there been a better main character, I probably would have liked it a lot more.  

Despite the less than likeable main character, this book was pretty good!  It had an interesting plot and a nice love interest.  The writing style was easy to follow and kept me hooked, too.  I didn't completely fall in love with this book but I would definitely suggest it to my friends if they asked for something to read!  

Three Cards


P.S. Don't forget to enter the giveaway I'm hosting in celebration of my One Year Blogiversary!  Up for grabs?  Seven awesome books and a $15 dollar gift card to Barnes & Noble! 
You can enter here.

1 comment:

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns