Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Title:  The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Series:  Mara Dyer #1
Author:  Michelle Hodkin
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Pages:  452
Format:  Hardcover


Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.   
It can. 
 She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysterious unharmed.
 There is.
  She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.  
 She's wrong.   

My Review:  This was my second time reading this book and I was immediately immersed in this exciting world, just like the first time.  

Everything about this book is so deliciously different, I just can't get enough of it.  The mystery, the action, the romance, the characters.  It was all so surprising and interesting and it made me really think.  The Unbecoming made me question everything that went on in this book.  Was everything in her imagination?  Were these terrifying things seriously happening?  I was so completely impressed with how well Michelle Hodkin wrote this book.  To make a reader doubt what is written on the page is a real accomplishment.  Even now I'm thinking about the story line and trying to put all the little pieces together and I am getting no where.  That's how well written the mystery in this story was.  I have no clue.  

Still, with all the mystery the writing came across as clear and easy to understand.  I was never confused, only trying to solve the mystery.  

The characters were all amazing as well.  I could understand and sympathize with them all, especially Mara.  Everything she was going through was so overwhelming and scary and she handled it fairly well and realistically.  Her uncertainty was believable.  And then there's Noah-freaking-Shaw.  This guy drives me absolutely wild.  His attitude, his one-liners, his appearance, his everything.  He had me swooning one moment and swearing the next.  The banter between him and Mara was hilarious and I found myself laughing at pretty serious times.  It was a nice comic relief, something this book needed.  Without it, the story would have been very morose and dark.  

And the cover.  Holy crap, is that beautiful.  I immediately ran out and got this as a physical book because I just needed to have it on my shelf.  

I'm so excited to get my hands on the next book, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, when it comes out later this year!  With the way the first book left off, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what happens next.  With a beautiful and terrifying plot, intricate characters, and hilarious banter, this book is definitely going on the shelf as a favorite.  


Four Cards



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns