Sunday, August 5, 2012

Review: Invincible

Title:  Invincible
Series:  The Chronicles of Nick
Author:  Sherrilyn Kenyon
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin
Pages:  420
Format:  Hardcover

Summary:  Nick Gautier’s day just keeps getting better and better. Yeah, he survived the zombie attacks, only to wake up and find himself enslaved to a world of shapeshifters and demons out to claim his soul.
His new principal thinks he’s even more of a hoodlum than the last one, his coach is trying to recruit him to things he can’t even mention and the girl he’s not seeing, but is, has secrets that terrify him.
But more than that, he’s being groomed by the darkest of powers and if he doesn’t learn how to raise the dead by the end of the week, he will become one of them...

My Review:  First of all, I'd just like to give some serious props to Sherrilyn Kenyon for her ability to add so much humor to one book.  Especially when that book is fairly serious and dark.  

It's one of my favorite things about her books.  Every single one of them (that I've read) have such an air of mystery and darkness and yet I'm sitting there reading it and laughing out loud while people look at me like I'm insane!  Her writing style is something I don't think I'll ever get tired of.  

Besides her writing style, the characters were all awesome in this book.  It was interesting seeing Nick go from complete outcast to someone who is slowly beginning to be accepted by his peers.  And I really admired Nick for not letting it all go to his head.  He wasn't power hungry and he wasn't overly enthusiastic about his sudden acceptance by one person in particular. . . In fact, he kept his head and stuck to who he really is.  Because of this, Nick quickly gained a permanent place in my heart.  

Other characters, like Kody, Caleb, Mark, and Bubba were all really great!  I love them all for sticking by Nick.  However, Caleb and Nick's relationship is a little confusing.  I'm trying to figure out whether Caleb is actually becoming his friend or if he's just doing his job.  Personally, I hope it's the former.  

The plot in INVINCIBLE was, like the first book, great!  I loved discovering all these new things and experiencing more and more of this secret, dangerous world with Nick.  The pacing was absolutely perfect.  There wasn't one moment in this book that I wondered when it'd be over.  I was completely wrapped up in the story and the world Sherrilyn created.  

There were a couple of things I didn't absolutely love about this book though.  First of all, I was a bit frustrated with Nick (shocking, I know).  I just wished he would question everything that was going on a little more!  I mean, he's suddenly gaining all these powers and everyone is trying to protect him and (correct me if I'm wrong) he doesn't question what he is at all.  And since Nick doesn't question what he is and get some answers, the reader is left with a bunch of unanswered questions.  

Another thing that was annoying was Nick's mom.  In the first book she was okay.  Just a protective mother who worried about her kid but now I'm angry with her!  She always thinks the worst of Nick.  Nick is better than she takes him for and it's just sad that his own mother always sees him as a monster while he practically worships the ground she walks on.  
In all, INVINCIBLE had a well thought out plot, awesome characters, and an interesting world to get lost in.  With just a couple of problems, this book is easily makes it to my list of favorites.  


Four Cards


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns