Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Review: Personal Demons

Title:  Personal Demons
Series:  Personal Demons #1
Author:  Lisa Desrochers
Publisher:  Tor Teen
Pages:  365
Format:  eBook

Summary: Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him. 
What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.
But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them. 

My Review:  So I really hadn't planned on reviewing this - or reading it for that matter.  It had been an on-a-whim buy.  That said, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.

I felt like the writing style was nice.  It wasn't too fancy and didn't use any unnecessary words which I thought was good.  I liked the idea of the book.  Sure, it was a bit cliche but I thought that the author did a good job putting a spin on a classic Heaven versus Hell type of story.  I did go into the book thinking there would be a lot of romance but for the most part, the author did a good job of keeping it pretty PG.

The plot at times was a little shady, though.  I didn't really know what was going on.  There was a lot of parts I thought could have been taken out.  Because of this, the story seemed to drag on. 

The book was split up between two different POVs - Luc and Frannie.     

I absolutely adored Luc.  His chapters were always exciting and kept me interested, even when things were kind of slow.  I loved reading his thoughts and seeing how he developed as a character!  He went from being a jerk to being a completely caring guy!

Frannie, in comparison, was pretty disappointing.  I really didn't see what Luc - or Gabe for that matter - saw in her.  She was always whining and so wishy washy.  One second she said she loved Luc, the next she was kissing Gabe!  I couldn't keep up with her!  It made me really angry, to tell you the truth.  I felt bad for Luc!  Here he was doing everything in his power keeping the girl he loved safe and she was sitting in her room wanting to make out with some other dude!  If I were her friends, I would've hit her upside the head for leading on both guys like that.  I couldn't believe that no one thought it was odd that she was practically dating two guys at once.

And I really didn't even feel a connection between Gabe and Frannie in the first place.  Frannie just liked him because he was hot!  The entire time she was with him - except for the end - I felt like he was being completely fake.  I mean, I know he's an angel at all but he just didn't have any characters flaws.  That made me not like him.  I'm not someone who's particularly fond of perfect characters.  

If it wasn't for Luc, I truthfully probably wouldn't have continued on with this one.  I felt like he was just such an awesome character, I really couldn't stop reading.  I had to see how things turned out for him.

All in all, this book had an interesting idea and a good male lead but the heroine and supporting characters, along with the plot, were weak for me.  I will be reading the sequel though.  I hope this series improves!

Two Feathers



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns