Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: Of Poseidon


Title:  Of Poseidon
Series:  Of Poseidon #1
Author:  Anna Banks
Publisher:  Feiwel & Friends
Pages:  336
Format:  eBook


Summary:  Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves  that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.

My Review:  Normally, I'm very hard to please when it comes to books where the main characters are ocean dwellers.  There are a few I've read that were good enough to  reread but the others have too many potholes and don't make sense.  

I was torn after reading this one.  I liked the idea and the characters.  I liked the setting and the writing style.  What I didn't like was when things didn't line up right.  

For example, our heroine, Emma, who is actually very likable, couldn't breathe under water.  In fact, she spent a lot of the book trying to learn how to hold her breath for a long time.  But then she and Galen would go under water and she would talk.  How can you talk if you can't breathe?  That bugged me a lot during the book and took away some of the pleasure of just reading.  

But, besides a few problems like that, I really had fun reading this.  

The characters were all nice and easy to relate to and sympathize with.  I especially like the way Emma was so strong and stubborn.  She didn't just bow down to Galen and I had to respect her for that.  

The overall plot, though a bit predictable, was enjoyable.  I knew the ending from about mid book but I still thought that it was nice to read as the characters discovered it.  

All in all, I'd say this was an okay read.  It left me wondering what might happen next. 


Three Cards






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns