Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Infinity

Title:  Infinity
Series:  The Chronicles of Nick
Author:  Sherrilyn Kenyon
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin
Pages:  464
Format:  Hardcover

Summary:  At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.
Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.
But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he's next on the menu.
As if starting high school isn't hard enough. . .now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

My Review:  This book was, put quite simply, amazing.  I had no expectations going into this new read as I had never read any of Sherrilyn Kenyon's stories before this one.  She's quickly become one of my favorite authors with this lovely little book.  
I was a little hesitant to buy this book at first as the main character, Nick, is only fourteen.  I generally enjoy YA books that have a hero or heroine around the age of sixteen or seventeen.  Despite my wariness, I decided to give it a shot and found that the age hardly bothered me at all in this book.  Nick, though he definitely has his faults, was a mature enough character that I didn't feel I was reading a book set for a younger audience.  Actually, far from it. 
The main plot was quick paced and never boring.  However, it did take a while to get into the actual big conflict of the book.  Those pages, though, were set aside for world building which was done beautifully. I never felt confused or overwhelmed.  Kenyon flawlessly weaved a world of magic, monsters, and demons.  
I was also very happy with the originality of the overall idea of the story.  This book it is laced with amazing detail and creativity that really can't be compared to anything else I've read.  
The characters were all amazing.  I found myself becoming fond of all of them - even the ones I knew I really shouldn't like.  It was an odd experience liking characters who were on different sides.  I knew who I was rooting for but at the same time I felt reluctant to do so as I didn't want the other characters hurt.  
In all, this book had an engaging plot, likable and endearing characters, beautiful world building, and a captivating and humorous writing style.  I'm eagerly awaiting being able to continue this series!

Five Feathers










No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns