Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Gone

Title:  Gone
Series:  Gone Series #1
Author:  Michael Grant
Publisher:  HarperTeen
Pages:  558
Format:  Paperback

Summary:  In the blink of an eye.  Everyone disappears.  Gone.  Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

My Review:  This is one of the most unique and engaging stories I've ever read.  It's not like normal YA fiction where the girl falls for a vampire/werewolf/fallen angel etc.  First of all, this is mainly told from the POV (point of view) of Sam, our hero. 

The summary did a great job of hooking me.  I felt the urgency and the darkness.  It drew me in and I am so glad it did.  There are very few books that I fall absolutely in love with that don't center around romance and mouth-watering boys (sad as that is . . .) but this book is one of them.  

Action packed, mysterious, and chilling, this is interesting in a completely unique way.  Right from the first line we're pulled into this strange new world with Sam.  We learn about the changes, the mutations, the horrors along with him and a few other gripping characters.  

Though it's centered around Sam as the main character, the POV's switch throughout the story.  This is something that normally annoys me but I didn't find it as bad this time.  It was interesting seeing this new world - what the kids call the FAYZ - through different eyes.  

I think the most intriguing part of this story for me was seeing the way the kids reacted to being alone without adults to rule over them (though the awesome powers were pretty cool, too).  As I was reading this I was trying to picture this situation happening to me in my town.  It was terrifying to come to the realization that if this ever did happen, it would probably unfold exactly as it did in the book or very close to it.  

Another refreshing element of this story was how realistic the characters were.  I'm so used to having those flawless, beautiful MC's where in GONE, everyone had their flaws.  Some it was a physical thing and others were just plain messed up in the head.  

The only complaint I have is the cover.  It's nice but I just feel it doesn't do the story justice.  It doesn't show the urgency and the way everyone was scared and confused and angry.  But, as it wasn't exactly Michael Grant's decision, I feel it would be unfair to take feathers away for that!

Five Feathers




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns