Monday, May 8, 2017

Review: Cocky Bastard

Title: Cocky Bastard 
Series: None  
Author: Penelope Ward & Vi Keeland
Genre: Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publisher: Self-published 
Publication Date: August 14, 2015 
Source: Bought

He was someone who belonged in my wildest fantasies instead of a rest stop in the middle of Nebraska.
A sexy, cocky, Australian named Chance was the last person I expected to run into on my cross-country drive.
When my car broke down, we made a deal. Next thing I knew, we were traveling together, spending sexually-tense nights in hotels and taking unplanned detours.
My ordinary road trip turned into the adventure of a lifetime. It was all fun and games until things got intense.
I wanted him, but Chance wouldn’t make a move. I thought he wanted me too, but something was holding him back.
I wasn’t supposed to fall for the cocky bastard, especially when I knew we’d be going our separate ways.
All good things must come to an end, right?
Except our ending was one I didn’t see coming.

Author's note - Cocky Bastard is a full-length standalone novel. Due to strong language and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.

Find Cocky Bastard online!
This book was mostly a spur of the moment, I'm-in-need-of-a-romance type of read.  I've read and enjoyed books from both Penelope Ward and Vi Keeland before so I knew it was likely I'd enjoy this one, too.  While entertaining and fun, there was nothing incredibly surprising or fresh about the story line and there was some parts that bordered on uncomfortable for me. 

Okay, I'm going to cut right to the chase here -- Chance was mostly fun and nice, but there were times where he was just straight up creepy.  There's a bit of a stalker vibe coming off of him ("a bit" being an understatement).  It started off cute and  little bittersweet but turned just full on weird and uncomfortable pretty quickly.  I don't understand the motivation to do this unless this whole stalking thing is supposed to be a show of some grand, romantic gesture.  Yeah, no thank you.  When he wasn't giving me the creeps, I enjoyed his character.  He was definitely a "live in the moment" kind of guy and I liked the way he pushed Aubrey out of her shell.  

Aubrey was an okay character.  Nothing extraordinary and there were some parts where she wore on me.  Most of my exasperation with her stemmed from her unfair treatment of Chance and the other *people* in her life.  She's very wishy-washy -- she couldn't stand up let Chance go but didn't want him in her life either.  I just wanted to scream at her to make up her mind.  

While I know the majority of this review has been negative things, that's just what stands out most in my mind when thinking about this book.  It wasn't necessarily bad, but I don't think it's one I'll be wanting to reread or recommending to any friends.  It was pretty average all around.  I don't regret reading it, but I'm hoping the next book Penelope and Vi write together (if they do) is better.    

 “I may not be an expert in women, but I know enough about them to know that fine means definitely not fucking fine .” 

Three Teapots 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns