Thursday, April 27, 2017

Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before

Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before 
Series: To All the Boys I've Loved Before #1
Author: Jenny Han 
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance 
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers 
Publication Date: April 15, 2014
Source: Bought 

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

Find To All the Boys I've Loved Before online!
Barnes & Noble | Amazon | Goodreads | Book Depository 
OH MY GOSH, THIS BOOK IS SO CUTE!!  Seriously, I'm so happy I read it (thank you, Brandi, for finally convincing me to pick it up!).  Reading this book is like eating brownies, cuddling puppies,  and sitting in the sunshine.  It just gives me all the warm and fuzzies.  

I loved the family in this novel!  Their relationships were so heart warming and real.  I loved how the sisters interacted and their love for their dad (and vice versa!).  We see from the perspective of Lara Jean, the middle sister, which I found really interesting.  She has very different relationships with her older and younger sisters and they were incredibly realistic.  When her older sister goes off to college, she suddenly is responsible for taking care for her dad and younger sister.  I really liked seeing this dynamic between them all.  It was so sweet (and funny) seeing the relationship between her and her younger sister, Kitty, develop.  

And then, of course, there's the romance!  I loved this premise -- Lara Jean's love letter are sent to all the people she wrote to?  Talk about some interesting (and awkward) situations!  And there were.  But I found that I really enjoyed this aspect of the novel.  The slow growing romance between Lara Jean and the leading man (I don't want to spoil anything) was so great and just made me genuinely happy.  AND it was so real, like all the other aspects of this novel.  

My only little complaint (which I was warned about before reading the novel) is that Lara Jean is a wee bit immature at times.  She's kind of a drama queen about things and it shows.  Some of her reactions felt overdone.  I had to keep reminding myself though that she's only sixteen in the book so I can't expect her to have "grown up" (for lack of better phrasing) reactions.  

I still absolutely loved this book and I'm so excited to read the others in the series.  This is such a feel-good novel.  I can definitely see myself picking it up whenever I'm feeing down.  If you haven't read this book, I'd highly recommend it, especially if you're a fan of contemporary romance.  

“Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That's the part of the risk. I don't want to be scared anymore.”

Four Teapots



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns