Thursday, March 23, 2017

Review: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Title: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Series: None
Author: Morgan Matson
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: May 4, 2010
Source: Gifted.  Thank you!

Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way. 




Find Amy & Roger's Epic Detour online
Okay, so this was actually my second time reading this book but I have hardly any memory of the first time I read it.  So it was basically a brand new experience reading this again!  I was really in the mood for a light and fun road trip read and this one hit all those points on the head, with an added bit of emotional intensity that I was pleasantly surprised by!  While it lulled a little in the middle, I'm still glad I reread this book!

Honestly, my favorite part about this book was the added features, like the playlists that Amy and Roger listened to throughout their journey and the pictures from the places they visited.  It added a lot to the story and gave the novel a more exciting and fun feeling while reading.  It also made it stand apart from other road trip books I've read!  This one definitely felt more interactive, like I was right there at these places with Amy and Roger.  These added photos and lists made the trip feel more real and tangible.  I'd love to be on a road trip with these guys!  I also liked the emotional journey Amy was on while simultaneously going through her physical journey.  She's dealing with the loss of her father and being left alone by her mom and brother.  Seeing her struggle with this was painful at times but it was so rewarding to see the way she grew and healed as the novel went on. 

While I liked Amy and Roger, I wasn't totally in love with them.  They both felt pretty ... average?  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just made it so I had to sometimes struggle to keep myself engaged with them while they traveled.  I liked when they interacted and stretched beyond their comfort zones but in the middle when they were just in the car for a while, my attention lagged a bit.  I still had a good time because of the added materials, but there was something missing that made it hard to be 100% engaged.  

Despite the problems I had with this book, I'm really happy I read it again!  It was a a fun road trip book with characters that were familiar and real.  I've enjoyed the contemporaries I've read from Morgan Matson and I'm excited to get the chance to read more!

“Tomorrow will be better.”
“But what if it’s not?” I asked.
“Then you say it again tomorrow. Because it might be. You never know, right? At some point, tomorrow will be better.”
 

Three Teapots

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns