Monday, June 6, 2016

Review: Wicked Heart

Title:  Wicked Heart 
Series:  Starcrossed #3
Author:  Leisa Rayven 
Genre:  New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher:  St. Martin's Press
Publication Date:  May 17, 2016
Source:  Bought

The one guy she can’t have is the one she can’t forget.
Liam Quinn is one of the biggest movie stars in the world…and the only man Elissa Holt has ever truly loved.
After being out of her life for six years, he and his gorgeous fiancé are set to star in the new Broadway show Elissa is stage managing. The only trouble is, when late night rehearsals bring Elissa and Liam together, the line between what is and what could have been gets blurred. Now one moment of weakness is about to create a scandal that will echo around the world.
Elissa knows that falling for Liam again would be a tragedy in the making, but as any good romantic knows, love doesn’t always follow the script.

Find Wicked Heart online


Okay so . . . before this book was released, I read an excerpt for it and for some reason it made me think that the relationship developed would be between Elissa and her best friend?  Like, I hadn't read the blurb or anything before getting and starting it (because it's a Leisa Rayven book and I was definitely gonna read it no matter what) so when I did start, I was just waiting the entire time for things to get all heated between Elissa and Josh (her bff).  Well, obviously that didn't happen and I'm actually glad it didn't because I liked Liam.  I mean, he was no Ethan, but he was still pretty awesome!

Honestly though, I think my favorite part of this book was Elissa.  I had liked seeing her in the previous two books of the series (which focuses on her brother, Ethan and his love interest Cassie) but in this one, she was even more amazing.  She felt like someone I could hang out with and have a great time, whether it was spent exploring the city, watching movies, or just munching on snacks.  Elissa just was so real.  I especially could sympathize with how she felt about Liam when dealing with her past feelings for him while having to work with him and his SO.  Watching as she had to deal with all the emotions being dug up was so hard.  Like, I just wanted to reach into the book and give her a hug.  

Elissa's relationship with Liam was interesting.  I liked the fact that their story was mostly told in present day, unlike the previous two books which had mostly focused on flashbacks.  It was nice seeing how she and Liam got started but I was really enjoying watching the way they dealt with each other now, and with so many obstacles and messy emotions standing between them.

I had a hard time not comparing Liam to Ethan in this book.  While I really like Liam, he had nothing on Ethan in my eyes.  I adored Ethan in the previous two books.  In this one, I was happy enough with Liam and Elissa while they were together but I didn't have a whole lot of interest with Liam on his own.  Don't get me wrong, he was still super sweet and insanely attractive, but he just wasn't . . . Ethan.  Honestly, it's my fault for comparing them but I just had the hardest time separating them in my mind. 

I really enjoyed this book.  While it didn't quite meet the level of the previous two books in the series, I still had so much fun going through it and reading about Elissa and Liam.  They had an interesting dynamic and I felt like they complimented each other nicely.  It was cool seeing Elissa's story after seeing so much of her in the first two books!

“And I have the strongest feeling that having part of you is going to be better than having all of anybody else.”

Four Teapots


1 comment:

  1. I wasn't asa much of a fan as I was with the first book. But I'm glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns