Friday, May 9, 2014

Review: Hexed

Title:  Hexed
Series:  The Witch Hunter #1
Author:  Michelle Krys
Age Group:  Young Adult
(To Be) Published:  June 10, 2014 by Delacorte Press
Source:  An ARC was given to be by the totally wonderful Jen over at Jenuine Cupcakes!
If high school is all about social status, Indigo Blackwood has it made. Sure, her quirky mom owns an occult shop, and a nerd just won’t stop trying to be her friend, but Indie is a popular cheerleader with a football-star boyfriend and a social circle powerful enough to ruin everyone at school. Who wouldn’t want to be her?

Then a guy dies right before her eyes. And the dusty old family Bible her mom is freakishly possessive of is stolen. But it’s when a frustratingly sexy stranger named Bishop enters Indie’s world that she learns her destiny involves a lot more than pom-poms and parties. If she doesn’t get the Bible back, every witch on the planet will die. And that’s seriously bad news for Indie, because according to Bishop, she’s a witch too.

Suddenly forced into a centuries-old war between witches and sorcerers, Indie’s about to uncover the many dark truths about her life—and a future unlike any she ever imagined on top of the cheer pyramid.
My Review:  First of all, I loved the humor in this book.  I found myself cracking up many times while reading!  The banter between all the characters was something I enjoyed immensely and it really made this book stand out.  However, there was also some things in this novel that had me wrinkling my nose and debating whether I should put it down or not.  Overall, though, I am very happy that I was able to read this book and very grateful to Jen and the publisher for giving me the chance!

Indigo was an interesting and fun-to-read character.  She definitely had her ups and downs but for the most part, I really liked her.  She was strong and easy to relate to.  Her struggles with her friends and family was something I thought helped make her more three dimensional and real.  I totally felt for what she was going through and I was cheering her on the entire time.  I also really appreciated that she wasn't perfect and she had her weaknesses and her less-than-admirable characteristics.  She became a little immature and whiny toward the end of the book but she was going through a lot and she quickly got over it.  

I.  Love.  Bishop.  I love him, I love him, I love him!  This guy was so funny.  If there's one way for a character to win me over, it's making me laugh.  And boy, did this guy win me over!  I loved his sarcasm and wit and I thought it was absolutely hilarious how he handled high-stakes situations with a dash of humor.  He wasn't always the funny one, though.  He showed us a softer side and I thought he was so charming and sweet.  I want to see more of him!

The story line was fast paced and easy to follow, with clearly drawn risks.  I was at the edge of my seat anticipating the next crazy, scary thing that would happen with the magic.  It did get a little slow in the middle and I found myself skipping pages and skimming, though.  There were times when I was totally hooked and other times when I put it down and didn't feel the need to pick it up for days.  But when things were happening, it was very exciting.  Also, I loved the descriptions in this book of LA!

Overall, I liked reading this novel and enjoyed learning about the magic and world we were introduced to.  The protagonist had her faults but they weren't too overwhelming or annoying.  Bishop was, of course, swoon worthy and probably my favorite part of the novel.  The ending blew me away and made me anxious to get my hands on the next book; I can't wait to see what happens next!

Three Cards




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns