Monday, March 3, 2014

Review: The Darkest Minds

Title:  The Darkest Minds
Series:  The Darkest Minds #1
Author:  Alexandra Bracken
Age Group:  Young Adult
Publisher:  Disney Hyperion
Source:  Gifted
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she's on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her-East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.
My Review:  I fell almost instantly in love with this book.  From the very first page, I was sucked into this world that was so full of horror and tragedy and yet also so fascinating and interesting, I just couldn't put it down.  The Darkest Minds hooked me with its well-developed world, heart racing action, and characters that made their way easily into my heart.    

I adored the way this book was written.  The voice was so refreshing and captivating.  It made it so easy to get caught up in the story the author was telling.  I felt for these characters very deeply.  The things that happened to them were absolutely heart wrenching and to see the way they had to fight to survive at such a young age was horrible.  

Our protagonist, Ruby, was a character I admired and loved learning more about.  She had many different layers to her and I enjoyed the way they were slowly pulled back and revealed.  Her background with her parents was especially heart breaking to read about but I was happy to see that she didn't let it weaken her.  She was so strong and smart and when she used her powers, I just felt like jumping all around and fist pumping the air!  She was seriously bad ass when she wanted to be.

The rest of our cast was also awesome.  I loved Levi from the start.  He's not the type of book boy I usually go for but I just couldn't resist him.  He was loyal and cunning and so caring.  Every time he was in a scene, I found myself smiling and when he wasn't, I just was waiting for him to come back! The way he protected Chubs and Zu was endearing.  Speaking of Chubs and Zu...I couldn't get enough of these two!  They stood out on the page and they were different and quirky in their own ways.  

The ending of this book absolutely killed me.  I had not seen it coming at all and I just need to read the second book now so I can find out what happens to all of these characters that have found a way into my heart!  The Darkest Minds was definitely a book that I will stick with me for a while!

 Five Cards


1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to read this! Excellent review!



    theperksofbeingabookdevotee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns