Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Review: Destroy Me

Title:  Destroy Me
Series:  Shatter Me #1.5
Author:  Tahereh Mafi
Published:  October 2, 2012 by HarperTeen
Source:  Bought
Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.
My Review:  I'm normally not one for novellas but, after reading Unravel Me, the second book in the Shatter Me series, I needed to get into the head of my new book boyfriend, Warner.  He completely changed my opinion of him and when I began reading Destroy Me, I adored the chance we were given to see into his head and learn about his motivations in Shatter Me.  

Warner was presented as an entirely new person in this novella compared to how we saw him in the first book in the series.  Being able to see and hear from his perspective completely changed the way in which we perceive him.  We were able to experience him in his daily life and see the way he was treated and expected to treat other people, and his motivation for being the way he was.  We were also given some explanations for some (seemingly) horrible things he forced Juliette to (seemingly) do in the first novel.  I was relieved to see that things were not always as they appeared in Shatter Me.  

I also liked seeing Juliette from Warner's perspective.  It was interesting to see how others saw her rather than how she saw others.  I enjoyed hearing about how she changed in his eyes throughout the time that he knew her.  

Destroy Me is a novella that is very much worth reading.  It provides crucial character development for Warner, as well as gives us a look into his mind and the motivation he has for doing the things he does.  I'm very eager to see and learn more about him in the last and final installment of this series, Ignite Me

Five Cards


1 comment:

  1. Destory Me was my first novella and I was so so glad I read it. I loved it too. I definitely fell in love with Warner after this one. Unravel Me was already hinting at Juliette ending up with Warner so after reading this novella, if she ends up with Adam, I'm gonna be so sad!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns