Friday, December 27, 2013

Movie Review: Catching Fire

Title:  Catching Fire (2013)
Rating:  PG-13
Director:  Francis Lawrence 
Main Cast:  Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth
The Hunger Games saga continues in this sequel that finds a revolution brewing as Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) take a "Victor's Tour" of the districts, and President Snow (Donald Sutherland) plots their downfall during preparations for the Quarter Quell, which only occurs every 25 years in celebration of the Capitol's victory over the districts. Hoping to put an end to the growing threat of rebellion, President Snow announces that the Quell's tributes will be reaped from the existing pool of victors -- guaranteeing Katniss a place in the arena. Though Katniss vows to keep Peeta safe even if it means sacrificing her own life, her fellow tributes have a different plan.
My Thought:  Did I like this movie?  Well, I've seen it three times in the past two weeks.  So, no; I don't like it.  I adore it!  Everything about this movie is amazing.  I knew it would be good after seeing the last one and all of the trailers released for it but, wow.  Catching Fire completely blew the first, The Hunger Games, out of the water.  

I think I was most happy with how well they stuck to the book.  I felt as though they had completely done the book justice.  There were only a few parts that were left out but, overall, everything I wanted to see was included.  Everything I saw while I was reading played out before my eyes on screen.  It was a really awe inspiring experience to see how well this story transferred onto the big screen.  Mad props to everyone who played a part in making this happen because they did an absolutely fantastic job.  

The actors.  They are all so great!  I felt as though I was seeing the real Katniss and Peeta and Prim and Finnick and Gale.  They portrayed the characters so flawlessly.   I was completely swept away by their performance.  At times I was heart broken and at others I was laughing out loud at their dialogue and banter.  The emotions I felt seeing these actors play out this story were insane.  I could feel the tension and intensity as I sat in my seat.  I was flailing around and bouncing up in my seat in excitement and happiness at the pure awesomeness.  (I apologize to the people who were sitting around me.  You were all good sports about my freak outs).

I am so anxious for Mocking Jay, the third movie, to release.  With the way this movie ended, I really am going to have a hard time waiting a year to see it.  The tension did not at all die out at the end and I have no doubt that it will carry on into the next movie.  Again, amazing job to those who worked on this movie - it was done wonderfully.  

Five Cards


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns