Monday, November 18, 2013

Review: Vain

Title:  Vain
Series:  The seven Deadly #1
Author:  Fisher Amelie
Published:  August 16, 2013 by Fisher Amelie
Source:  Bought
If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.
My Review:  Wow.  Really, that's the word that comes to mind when I think of this book.  It was absolutely amazing.  From page one I was immediately sucked into this twisted, messed up world of Sophie's.  I saw all of the horrible things with her and I felt her pain.  And I was with her as she experienced the journey that changed everything.  

When I first started reading this book, I'll admit, I hated Sophie.  I understood and sympathized with where she was coming from doing all of these horrible things but I didn't believe that gave her any right to be so terrible.  She was a complete bitch, which was the point.  As I continued reading, I saw her pay for her actions in the best possible way.  Instead of spending time in jail for her less-than-legal exploits, Sophie is sent to an orphanage in Uganda where she's forced to work for six months.  This is where are story really begins.  

I was absolutely appalled by what Sophie discovered when she made it to the orphanage.  After reading certain parts of the book, I did some research on the conditions of this country myself and was completely heart broken.  The situations seen in this book definitely stem from the truth.  Every single one of the children we met in this book found a place in my heart, just as they did in Sophie's.  It was amazing watching the way she changed each day she stayed there.  You could tell by the way she acted and the way she didn't seem to care much about surface things such as appearance, money, power, ect.  She was learning what truly mattered.  

We also had the completely drool-worthy Ian (a.k.a. Dingane).  This guy was so awesome.  I loved him more than I can even say.  He definitely wasn't your typical love interest.  He was sweet and kind and cared so much about the orphanage and the children.  He also did not at all like Sophie at first.  He saw right through her act and wasn't afraid to call her out on it.  I also really liked the past that he had.  It added a wonderful layer to his already three-dimensional character.  The way that he and Sophie interacted was so real and sweet.  I completely loved their relationship.  

Without a doubt, this book was amazing.  The characters were beautifully written and had well-thought out arcs and development, the plot was moving and eye-opening, and the message hit home and was very powerful.  There's nothing better than a book that makes an impact on your life for the better.  Because of Vain, I am all the more aware about issues going on around the world and intend to help in anyway I can.  Read this book; you won't regret it!

Five Cards


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns