Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Review: One Tiny Lie

Title:  One Tiny Lie
Series:  Ten Tiny Breaths #2
Author:  K.A. Tucker
Published:  June 11, 2013 by Atria Books 
Source:  Bought
Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. “Make me proud,” he had said. She promised she would...and she’s done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.

Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she’s dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she’s going to someday marry. What isn’t part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal roommate she can’t say ‘no’ to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men’s rowing team. Definitely him. He’s an arrogant ass who makes Livie’s usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn’t want in a guy. Worse, he’s best friends and roommates with Connor, who happens to fits Livie’s criteria perfectly. So why does she keep thinking about Ashton?

As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn’t have, she’s forced to let go of her last promise to her father and, with it, the only identity that she knows.
My Review:  This book was one that kept me hooked while reading.  I was entertained and engaged the entire time and really enjoyed following Livie as she discovered more about herself and broke out of the shell she'd desperately hung on to.  

After reading and loving the first book, Ten Tiny Breaths, I was excited to jump into this one with Livie.  She had been an interesting character in the first installment and I knew there must have been a lot more to learn about her.  She was much more complex than I had thought she would be.  Kacey (her older sister and the main character from Ten Tiny Breaths) was not the only sister with problems.  Livie was struggling dealing with her parent's death just as much as Kacey had been only in a different way.  She had forced herself into a certain role with the idea that she would only make her father proud that way.  I loved seeing the way she gradually accepted these problems and learned it was okay to be who she wanted to be, even if it wasn't necessarily who she thought her parents wanted her to be before they died.  

Ashton was also an interesting and layered character.  From the very start, he definitely proved to be an arrogant ass but there was something very charming in that.  To say I was smitten would be an understatement.  I completely adored him and thought he was a great character with a past that I was just dying to uncover.  He had a lot of secrets and that kept him a mystery for a lot of the book.  Also, I loved seeing some of the old characters from the first book, too!  Seeing Kacey and Trent again just made me giddy!  I was so happy seeing that they were still going strong!  

This book was a fun and entertaining read.  It definitely touched on some harder subjects and showed a lot of character growth in both Livie and Ashton.  I was completely satisfied after I finished and am happy with how the ending turned out.  This is a book that I would happily recommend!  

Four Cards


1 comment:

  1. I love contemporary especially when it has complex characters. I've seen Ten Tiny Breaths on NetGalley, but I think I got rejected for it? LOL my ratio's really bad D: I still want to read it though! The sequel sounds good and I like that b/c I hate it when sequels slips off. Idk but this book or duology sounds like a sad read. I haven't read a lot of books that's about 'self discovery' so maybe I'll try TTB and this one. Great review and I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns