Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Greta and the Goblin King

Title:  Greta and the Goblin King
Series:  Mylena Chronicles #1
Author:  Chloe Jacobs
Publisher:  Entangled Teen
Pages:  279
Format:  Paperback
Source:  Bought
While trying to save her brother from a witch’s fire four years ago, Greta was thrown in herself, falling through a portal to Mylena, a dangerous world where humans are the enemy and every ogre, ghoul, and goblin has a dark side that comes out with the eclipse.

To survive, Greta has hidden her humanity and taken the job of bounty hunter—and she’s good at what she does. So good, she’s caught the attention of Mylena’s young goblin king, the darkly enticing Isaac, who invades her dreams and undermines her will to escape.

But Greta’s not the only one looking to get out of Mylena. An ancient evil knows she’s the key to opening the portal, and with the next eclipse mere days away, every bloodthirsty creature in the realm is after her—including Isaac. If Greta fails, she and the lost boys of Mylena will die. If she succeeds, no world will be safe from what follows her back...
My Review:  Truthfully, this wasn't a book I was expecting to like all that much.  I had read the first couple of pages before and was a little unsure about it just because I knew there would be a whole lot of world learning being done just from skimming those first few pages.  I normally like to jump into a book without having to worry about remembering all these new terms and what not.  

While there was a lot I had to learn about the world, it wasn't so overwhelming that I was distracted from the plot or the characters.  Mylena is a hostile, frigid world that I know would be hard to survive in so I had to give major props to Greta for surviving and thriving in that environment for so long.  She was such a strong and resourceful character and I really enjoyed her for that.  She didn't let herself get pushed around by anyone, not even the king.  The only thing that bothered me about her as I was reading was the fact that everyone (including herself) kept describing how she was such a renowned, awesome bounty hunter but she hardly ever got out of fights without help from someone or without being close to death by the time it was over.  I wish we had been able to see a little more of her actually fighting how we were always told she could fight.  

Isaac . . . man, I like the dude, I really do.  I think he's sweet and attractive and has a lot of different layers we've still yet to explore but I just didn't really understand why he liked Greta so much.  Not that she's in anyway unappealing but they just didn't really have a civil conversation (that we saw at least) until the end.  There was some talk about how they were made for each other but that sort of explanation really explains absolutely nothing.  

The overall plot, while a bit choppy at times, was actually really good.  There was a lot of heart-racing action and the fight scenes were a blast to read.  I never knew exactly what was going to happen and I liked being kept on my toes.  

Greta and the Goblin King was a book that I am happy to say I liked quite a bit.  It did have its problems but it kept me hook with it's strong heroine, mysterious hero, and heart racing plot!  This is definitely a book that deserves a chance!  

Three Cards


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've always been interested in books like these, though I've never read a fantasy book with goblins in them (as main features, at least). Greta doesn't sound all too interesting, but the entire premise of this book does :D Maybe it's worth a shot :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns