Monday, June 3, 2013

Review: Ascend

Title:  Ascend
Series:  Trylle #3
Author:  Amanda Hocking
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin
Pages:  326
Format:  Paperback
Source:  Bought
Wendy Everly is facing an impossible choice. The only way to save the Trylle from their deadliest enemy is by sacrificing herself.  If she doesn’t surrender to the Vittra, her people will be thrust into a brutal war against an unbeatable foe.  But how can Wendy leave all her friends behind…even if it’s the only way to save them?

The stakes have never been higher, because her kingdom isn’t the only thing she stands to lose. After falling for both Finn and Loki, she’s about to make the ultimate choice…who to love forever. One guy has finally proven to be the love of her life—and now all their lives might be coming to an end.

Everything has been leading to this moment.  The future of her entire world rests in her hands—if she’s ready to fight for it.
My Review:  This series has just continued to get better and better with every book.  I enjoyed the first book but after reading this one, I've fallen completely head over heels in love with this world, these characters, the history, and the writing style!  I'm so sad to see that it's over but at least I can comfort myself with the thought that I can reread these books whenever I like!

Wendy has gone through so much character growth since the first book and I absolutely love her for it.  Her new maturity and wisdom is just awesome.  It has shifted the way she looks at her world and for the better, I think!  She's so much deeper and selfless now.  She will do anything to protect her people and I really admired her for that.  Throughout the entire book, no matter what she was going through or what craziness was happening with those around her, she kept a level head and stayed locked on her goals.  And that's not to say that she never had any slip ups.  She was a very realistic character with all the flaws and faults that come with that.  

The secondary characters were also amazing.  I enjoyed getting to know Elora a lot more in this book.  We're provided insight into how life is for her and why she acts the way she acts.  Before learning what I did, I basically hated her.  But now I have only respect and love for her!  She's so strong and selfless!  Loki, Tove, Garth, and Finn were also great.  I adored the times when we saw Loki and Wendy together and I thought Tove and Garth held their own in this story, too.  Finn, while I always wanted him to go away, never annoyed me for any major reasons (besides not being Loki).  He grew up a lot from the last book to this one.  

The world was great and I was super excited that we got to see even more of it than before.  It's so amazing how all of these little colonies exist and thrive as one community.  The history was also very well thought out and presented.  It complimented and made sense with the story and contributed a lot to what was happening in the book as this story was unfolding.  

This was a beautiful way to close the series and I was happy with how everything ended.  We got all the closure we needed and all the loose ends were tied up perfectly.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.  

Five Cards


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns