Monday, December 10, 2012

Review: Under The Never Sky

Title:  Under The Never Sky
Series:  Under The Never Sky #1
Author:  Veronica Rossi
Publisher:  HarperCollins
Pages:  389
Format:  eBook


Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY

The first book in a captivating trilogy, Veronica Rossi’s enthralling debut sweeps you into an unforgettable adventure.
My Review:  I have absolutely no idea why it took my so long to pick up this book.  Every single time I was in a book store I would go grab it and read the back cover but I never brought it to the check out to buy it.  Why?  I have no idea.  I'm so mad at myself for waiting so long to read it because it is so good.    

The characters were what really drew me in.  Aria was a strong main character.  I loved that she didn't complain when she was with Perry, even though she was absolutely terrified and uncomfortable the entire time.  I appreciated the way she stayed focus on where she needed to be and didn't let anything get in the way of where she was going.  I also totally adored Perry.  I loved how straight forward he was and how he grudgingly grew to care about Aria.  And his loyalty and love for his nephew was so amazing.  It was so much fun to see him playing and caring for him.  And personally, I think Perry was a much better father figure to his nephew than the kid's actual dad.  I loved watching as his relationship with Aria grew over time.  There was no insta-love which was a really nice change!  They both complimented each other very nicely!   

The plot was really intense and kept me on my toes!  I loved the switching POVs between Aria and Perry as it gave the story more depth than it would have if it would have been told from only one of them.  I enjoyed the action and adventure this story provided.  There was never a slow moment.  The idea of a society that was kept separate from the outside world was exciting and thought provoking.  It was fun comparing the two different life styles and really interesting to see how members of each "world" saw the people from the other. 

The writing style was another aspect of this book that I appreciated.  Everything was very clear and easy to understand.  I feel like that is a really important part of a story, especially when writing dystopian.  Everything is new and unfamiliar to the reader and without the proper explanation, they will just be confused and frustrated.  So I'm glad Veronica Rossi was able to avoid that problem!

Likable and well developed characters, a heart-racing plot, and an amazing writing style - Under The Never Sky definitely did not disappoint!  If you have yet to pick this book up, I would seriously suggest you do!

 Four Cards


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns