Saturday, September 1, 2012

Review: Tyger Tyger

Title:  Tyger Tyger
Series:  Goblin Wars #1
Author:  Kersten Hamilton
Publisher:  Clarion Books
Pages:  308
Format:  Hardcover


Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures - goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty - are hunting Teagan.  Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff though, so Teagan isn't worried.  Her life isn't in danger.  In fact, it's perfect.  She's on track for a college scholarship.  She has a great job.  She's focus on school, work, and her future.  No boys, no heartaches, no problems.
Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives.  Finn's a bit on the unearthlt beautiful side himself.  He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile.  And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too...and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind.  Finn knows a thing or two about fighting.  Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby is right.  The goblins are coming.  
My Review:  This was my second time reading this book and just like the first time, I absolutely fell in love with it.  It's such a unique and different read that from the second I opened it, I was thrust into this beautiful, terrifying world with so many different creatures and some lovely imagery.  I felt as though I was running along side Teagan and the gang, trying to get away from goblins and other monsters.

The characters were all amazing, too.  The relationships between them were so realistic and really different than they normally are in other YA books.  Teagan didn't fall into insta-love with Finn.  They tried to stay away from each other to protect each other.  And I also appreciated the fact that Teagan and Finn were able to control themselves.  There was no inappropriately timed kissing.  They were on a mission and they didn't let their mutual attraction get in the way of that.  I also loved Teagan's relationship with her little brother, Aiden.  She didn't think he was a burden or a pest.  She loved him with all she had and put his needs before her own.  I just loved seeing a responsible and level headed female main character.  It was refreshing.


The plot wasn't super fast paced but I enjoyed it all the same.  Even though things weren't unfolding at break-neck speeds, it was all still entertaining.  Even when things really slowed down, it was for a reason and it was still entertaining!  The plot really took me for a whirl because I hadn't expected it to go in the direction it had.  Still, I loved it.


My only criticism would be that I wish the book had been written in first person rather than third person.  I felt disconnected from Teagan at times.  I didn't really feel like I was in her head like I wanted to be.  I wanted to know what she was feeling and thinking and sometimes I just didn't.  Even so, Teagan was a great and different female main character.


With a stunning world, nightmare worthy creatures, unique characters, and a well made plot, Tyger Tyger easily makes it onto my favorites list!



Five Cards


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns