Friday, September 14, 2012

Review: Touch

Title:  Touch
Series:  Denazen #1
Author:  Jus Accardo
Publisher:  Entangled Teen
Pages:  251
Format:  eBook

When a strange boy tumbles down a river embankment and lands at her feet, seventeen-year-old adrenaline junkie Deznee Cross snatches the opprotunity to piss off her father by bringing the mysterious hottie with ice blue eyes home.
Except, there's something off with Kale.  He wears her shoes in the shower, is overly fascinated with with things like DVDs and vases, and acts like she'll turn to dust if he touches her.  It's not until Dez's father shows up wielding a gun and knowing more about Kale than he should, that Dez realizes there's more to this boy - and her father's "law firm" - than she realized.
Kale has been a prisoner of Denazen Corporation - an organization devoted to collecting "special" kids known as Sixes and using them as weapons - his entire life.  And, oh yeah, his touch?  It kills.  The two team up with a group of rogue Sixes hellbent on taking down Denazen before they're caught and her father discovers the biggest secret of all.  A secret Dez has spent her entire life keeping safe.
A secret Kale will kill to protect.  
My Review:  For the longest time, I stayed away from this book.  I was so hesitant to start it because of this and that.  Now, I'm regretting not starting it sooner!  This book was one of those awesome surprises for me.  After having avoided it for so long, I really didn't know what to expect once I started.

The first thing I loved about this book was Dez, our main character.  She was amazing.  Strong and independent, she didn't take crap from anybody and it was such a relief to get away from the typical "damsel in distress" type protagonists in other YA novels.  She was willing to do what needed to be done when it needed to be done.  I also really loved Kale.  His innocence was as refreshing as it was humorous.  I was laughing out loud at some parts (especially the ones when he shared too much information with other people). The other characters were good as well.  They were nicely layered and detailed and I felt for them all while reading.

The plot was fast paced and well developed.  There were only a few slow parts but besides that, I was at the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened.  The writing style really helped the fast pace.  The tone of the story was light and funny.  I really loved Dez's one liners and banter between the other characters.  It made it so that even when I was at a slower part, I was still entertained because of the snappy lines.

The overall idea of the of the story is very inventive!  I loved all the different "super powers" or gifts that each individual character had.  Its was cool to see how each gift complimented each character.  Everyone of them enhanced the reading experience.

With a great set of characters, a wonderful plot line, and some kick-ass character, Touch was definitely a story worth reading!  If you are hesitating to read this book like I was - don't!  Go out, get it, and enjoy!

Four Cards




2 comments:

  1. Great review! I fell in love with this book when I read it and have been dying to get my hands on Toxic ever since!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives - new follower =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when a book suprises me! That's always fun! I had it with Wondrous Stange! ;)

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns